- Chapter 13 -

"Corpse, what are you doing here?!"

"I live here,'' he answered plainly.

"Right right,'' Sykkuno responds with a heavy sigh. ''You scared me,"

"Sorry about that." Corpse chuckles, ''I just decided to sneak by. I knew the test was happening today, so...'' Corpse ran a hand through his hair, placing a hand into his pocket. Sykkuno shook his head and smiling, walking towards the taller man and entwining him in a comfortable hug. Corpse was hesitant but then wrapped his arms around the smaller boy.

They stand in the empty space for what seems like hours, yet it has only been about a minute. Nonetheless, Sykkuno remembers he has a test to complete. He pushes out of the warm embrace, to which he says his goodbyes and quickly runs back inside.

It was these short interactions between them that made Corpse feel nothing but butterflies in his stomach. He liked it, he wouldn't lie.

He walked back outside the greenhouse, back towards the main hall of the castle. Regardless of the happiness he felt, he couldn't help but feel paranoid. What if someone saw them?

His father would find it displeasing if he learned his son was hugging a commoner. Corpse remembered when he came home late from the cottage and was caught sneaking out. He managed to form some crappy excuse.

''I went into town, just to grab some prescriptions from the pharmacy.'' he had said.

''Why not just go to the medical wing here and have them make it for you?'' his father questioned.

''Well, they were all busy that day. I didn't make it any harder for them.''

Although it was clear his father didn't completely buy it, he decided not the push for any further answers from Cadáver. Which was rather unusual for the king.

Cadáver made his way back inside, navigating through the library. That's when he noticed her. Emma was sitting down at a table reading. Cadáver froze, ''Ok, just don't make a sound.'' he tells himself. But as soon as he takes 2 steps forward, the girl speaks. ''Hello, Cadáver.''

''Ah sh-.''

''Good afternoon,'' he responds. Emma turns her head, "What are you doing all out and about?" she asks. "Just taking my daily walk Emma."

"Hm, mind interrupting your daily walk for a chat?"

Cadáver knew there wouldn't be any getting out of this, so he sat in the chair facing Emma. "I feel as though the last time we met was ages ago." she begins. "Not to mention I would really enjoy learning more about you." Emma tilts her head and smiles. "There isn't much worth sharing." Corpse explains. "Why don't you tell me more about you?" he says, shifting the conversation. "Let's see, what is it you want to know?"

Corpse ponders. "Uh, I don't know. Have any siblings?"

"I do indeed, a younger brother. But he isn't here with us at the moment, but then again, he might."

"What do you mean by that?"

"The truth is that little rascal randomly went missing. I do hope that he'll be alright."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that."

"No worries, he hasn't been on my mind much lately."

Corpse feels rather uncomfortable with the tension, and Emma seems to notice. "Sorry, I can sense your discomfort. You may leave if you wish."

Corpse nods and stands up. The man was grateful Emma was considerate of how he was feeling. At first, he thought Emma would be a snobbish girl. But in truth, she's quite a nice person.

He leaves the library and walks up the stairs to his room. Where he falls on his bed with a flop. "I wonder what Sykkuno is doing right about now."

◈◈◈

After finally completing the course, Sykkuno was exhausted. Every spent hours working. Thankfully, Sykkuno believed he was one of the top three to finish. He sighed and walked back outside, his bag slung over his shoulder.

"Thank you all for coming." The Chief announces. "Make sure to come back tomorrow to the showcase of your test scores."

"Hometime." Sykkuno thinks. ''Finally...''

He walks outside and looks around for any sight of the boy from earlier. Looks like he was nowhere to be found, but Sykkuno had a feeling that wouldn't be the last he sees of him.

◈◈◈

Sykkuno walks along the street to the animal shelter, to which he's greeted with Leslie. ''Oh hey! Sykkuno?" she said. "Yeah, that's me."

"Hi there, what's up?" she asked. "Well, Rae's going through some stuff at the moment." he begins, "So she asked me to look after Bimbus. I just never owned a dog before."

"Don't worry about it, I'm fine with walking through the basic's with you."

Leslie supplied Sykkuno with a small book, a step by step guide to looking after animals. She taught him how to properly deal with shedding and behaviour.

"When are you gonna take him in?" she asks. "Who?"

"Bimbus, he's still currently staying with Rae, right?" Leslie tilts her head. "Mhm, I'm in the process of getting perhaps a new place to stay. Once I get it, he moves in."

"Did you stay at the Hawthorn Inn?"

"I did, but staying at the Inn isn't long term,"

"Ahhh. I see,"

Sykkuno nods and is about to leave. Before he decided to ask, "Are you and Toast, good friends?"

"I think so? When I first met Toast, he was pretty grumpy, but he warmed up eventually," she says. "Apparently, he wanted to be a detective. But he took the position at the Inn because he needed some kind of income."

"He's a big fan of criminology, I'll tell you that."

"Yeah, I got that idea."

Sykkuno walks out from the shelter, saying his goodbyes and walking off.

As a result of shifting through the large crowds, he finally reaches his destination. Gravel crunches underneath his feet as he walks up to the porch.

He starts to reach for the doorknob. However, the door is opened for him.

But it isn't Corpse whose standing at the door.

It's Toast. 

◈◈◈

Did y'all miss me, doesn't matter cause I'm back now ;)

Remember, if you spot any spelling or grammatical errors please let me know! Also if you find anything confusing, I'll come over to explain it! 

Imma just ask a question to spark some conversation ;0

What are your OTP's?

Have a good morning, afternoon, or night!

-fai