- Chapter 18 -

Emma walks to the bench and sits down beside Sykkuno. "It's a lovely day out," she says. Sykuno stays silent and returns to his sketching. Bimbus quickly trots over to sniff Emma's shoes. She giggles and pets his head.

"What are you doing here?" she asks. "I just... took the herbalism entrance exam."

"Ah yes, you are quite savvy with herbalism."

Emma returns to look at the sky, the two of them not saying a word. Sykkuno was just about ready to leave. He called Bimbus over and packed his notebook into his bag. Sykkuno stood up and started walking away before turning back, "I'm sorry." he says. Emma scoffs lightly, "For what? If anyone should apologize, it should be me."

The boy tilts his head. Emma sighs, "I shouldn't have let them treat you like that. I don't blame you for running, honestly."

Sykkuno's mouth widens, forming a smile. "What are you here for?" he asks. Emma finally turns her head to meet eyes with Sykkuno. "Marriage interview. With the prince."

His smile drops almost immediately. Emma raises an eyebrow, "I don't intend to marry him if that's what you're thinking. I prefer girls, Thomas."

"Right..." Sykkuno sighs out with relief. 

"Don't tell me you have eyes for the prince?"

The boy didn't respond as he found himself too embarrassed to answer. "Well, good luck with that," she added teasingly. Sykkuno awkwardly chuckled. He never planned what he would say when reuniting with his sister, so he just felt uncomfortable. But regardless, the boy knew Emma was overjoyed to see him. Sykkuno didn't know how he knew. He just did.

"Well, you best be off."

"Yeah, it was nice seeing you again."

"The feeling is mutual." Emma smiled. She was internally grateful that her little brother was safe and sound. The two of them have never bonded as they have with others, but she knew that he also loved her dearly.

"And Thomas?"

"Hm?"

"I'll do better, I promise."

◈◈◈

Sykkuno walked away from the garden with a feeling he's never felt before. He was neither pleased nor disappointed to see Emma, but he couldn't deny that Emma had changed.

When he was with her, she mocked him and called him names. It started a little after he was brought into the royal family of Ambrose. Emma had used the fact that Sykkuno wasn't of royal blood to reduce him to a commoner who happened to live in the palace. But it seems she changed for the better.

The boy walked around the corner and accidentally bumped into someone. He was about to apologize, but he stopped when he saw Corpse.

"C-Corpse!"

"Oh, hi there..."

They hadn't talked to each other since their time at the flower field. Both of them felt as though they would stumble with their words and make a fool out of themselves. 

Sykkuno was looking straight at the ground as Corpse's eyes were locked onto him. Sykkuno saw his mouth open, but before he could say anything, Sykkuno walked off. He jogged around corners and bumped into a few others. But he didn't stop. He thought he'd heard his name being called, yet he continued to run to the dorms.

Once inside his dorm, Bimbus jumps onto the sofa. Sykkuno felt fortunate that his roommates weren't here. Just imagine how embarrassed he would be to be seen in such a flustered state. "I'm such a coward." he scolds himself. He didn't want any misunderstandings between Corpse and himself. Sykkuno didn't want the prince to think he rejected him, yet he didn't know how to say it.

Sykkuno sat down and rested his head on his hands. Bimbus seemed to sense his discomfort, so he went up to the boy and hopped into his lap. The boy felt glad he had someone here to help him, even if they weren't human.

He couldn't recall what happened after that. It seemed as though he fell asleep because the first person he sees is Ludwig.

"Finally!" Ludwig delights. "It's about time."

"Ludwig...?"

"Hey there! I thought I would come by to see you."

Bimbus was watching Ludwig with great interest. He backed up when Ludwig helped Sykkuno to his feet. "Thanks." The boy says. "No worries," Ludwig responds. "What happened?"

Sykkuno felt the guilty feeling swelling up inside him again, remembering just why he was here in this state. "Nothing, I was just tired..." Ludwig held a face with something that looked like suspicion or worry. Perhaps a bit of both.

"Anyway, just here to check in. Is there anything you need?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Sure thing, I'll leave you to get a little more settled in." Ludwig turns to walk away, leaving Sykkuno alone in his room.

◈◈◈

Corpse stood there confused when he saw Sykkuno run away. Did he do something wrong? He walks in the direction of which he saw Sykkuno run, and he ran into Ludwig. "Oh, good afternoon," he says. "You're Sykkuno's friend. Where is he? " Corpse asks solemnly. "I came to check on him in his dorm. He should still be there. He looked rather tired, so I suppose that time should be given to him for rest.''

"Ah, I see."

"Excuse me," Ludwig says before rushing off. "I suppose I could talk to him later." But wouldn't he just run off again? Corpse didn't desire to make the boy talk to him if he was uncomfortable. The prince didn't have many friends, but he had enough common decency to know that.

Corpse walked briskly towards his room, subtly walking past the medical wing in hopes to spot Sykkuno. Yet, he was not there.

However, he did pass by Emma, he greeted her. She greeted back, but her eyes were bloodshot. It seemed as though she had been crying. "Are you alright?" Corpse asks. "Ah yes, just..." Emma sniffs. "Just... allergies." Although he knew it was a lie, he decided not to push.

Once he reaches his room, he regards Dave, who is unloading clothes into his wardrobe. "Welcome back," he says. "I'm just about to finish up here."

"Thank you."

Once Dave finishes, he leaves with a respectful nod. Corpse, now alone, can throw himself into the bed and groan out in frustration. His mind was going in all sorts of directions. Mostly heading towards Sykkuno. Did Sykkuno dislike the kiss? Did Sykkuno hate him now? Surely not. Corpse was in denial. The boy was too kind to hate anyone.

Corpse sits up, his leg bouncing up and down. Ludwig mentioned Sykkuno was out of it today.

So, Corpse will try to talk to Sykkuno tomorrow.

The next day as well.

And the day after that...

◈◈◈

Just wanna apologize for the late update. But don't worry, the story isn't discontinued. It will just have later updates. :) I started writing this chapter awhile ago, so I pushed through to finish it! Also, thank you all for the support ('▽'ʃ❤ƪ) I do truly mean it :D

-fai