Chapter 16

"What is going on down there, Matteo" I asked while trying to calm myself down from the panic.

Matteo took me back upstairs to my bedroom and sat down on the couch in front of my bed.

"Luca will deal with them" he nodded, but I noticed that he wasn't sure about it either.

"Is he gonna kill them?" I opened my eyes more.

"I don't think so, because he has some open business with them" he ran his hand through his hair, "but since he dared to touch you, I would think that work will be the last thing on his mind now".

I looked back at him when Luca suddenly appeared in the door. He said something to Matteo in Italian who nodded in response and left the room. Luca turned back to me.

"Are you hurt?" he asked still kind of breathless.

I shook my head.

"No, I'm not"

He kneeled down to bed in front of me and put his hands on my knees, his eyes up on me. I was just staring at him for a while before noticing that he had a blood on the side of his head and lip.

"What happened down there" I slid my finger along his forehead, where he had drops od blood.

"I was so close to kill him on the spot, but instead I just really kicked his ass"

"And I see that he also hit you"

Luca sighed and looked down.

"I told you to stay in your room" he looked back up at me.

"I was thirsty. I wouldn't think that during these few minutes some stranger will try to rape me"

Luca nodded.

"I am sorry. I should have known"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"That it can happen. These men can act like pigs sometimes" he rubbed his forehead.

"Why did you have that gun with you" I asked and changed the subject.

Luca looked back at me.

"When we do some business and deals with mafia, we never know what could happen. It is unexpected. As you see now you were the victim of it. We have a gun with us almost all the time".

I wasn't sure if this was the only reason why he had a gun, but the feeling and knowing that Luca could have had the gun the whole time in Rome and who knows where else, made me feel nauseous. I slowly stood up from the bed and took a step around him.

"Where are you going?" he asked and got off the floor.

"I need some fresh air..."

"Stella, wait" he grabbed my hand but I took it back.

"Not now. Let me be for a while" I said and went out of my bedroom. I ran down the stairs, while I noticed Matteo and Franco cleaning up the mess after the fight in the kitchen.

I went outside to the garden and sat down on the couch next to the pool. I sighed with relief and slid my hands across my face. The cold evening air made me feel better. Did I really think that Luca won't be armed when someone can attack him at any time? Or maybe even me? Why did I feel like that since I got that text message, everything was going downhill. I know that Luca did not do anything, but this feeling does not make me feel good. Am I that stupid or blind by my feelings to Luca that I was trying to ignore the fact that he is in mafia? Sometimes I tell myself that I really should have tried to escape at the beginning, before I let it come this far. Who knows what is all true and what is a lie. I remember when Francesca told me at the ball that she had to get used to her new life with Federico because of mafia, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle it the way she did. I still don't know much about all this mafia thing.