𝙾𝚗𝚎

"Angel, can you cover my shift tonight?" Roxanne asks as I clean up my section

"Why?" 

Since when did she ever need someone to cover her shift? 

"I've got a date," She holds my arm and gives me her signature puppy dog eyes. "I haven't had some in almost a year, help a sister out." 

"Fine, only because I have nothing to do at home and need a distraction," I say, dodging her bear hug. 

"What about the millions of hobbies you always seem to pick up?" She asks, clocking out while I wash the dishes. 

"Got bored." 

"It hasn't even been a week?" She mutters looking at me questioningly. 

"Before you say anything, I've been working here for the past year and a half so I'm improving." I reason.

Roxanne has been my best friend since freshman year of college when we were both assigned to be dormmates. When I needed a new job, after quitting the one I had almost two years ago, she put in a good word for me at the Karaoke Café. 

The owner was hesitant at first when looking at the multiple jobs I had in the past but she trusted Roxanne. To our surprise, I made it past a year and a half, something about this place never lost my interest. 

"When you make it two years, I'll applaud you." She comments making her way to the back room to change out of her uniform. 

"Keep testing me and I will quit right now." 

°°°°°°°

After a long day of work, I make my way back to Roxanne and I's apartment. She texted me and told me that she would not be coming back tonight, a sign that the date is going well. 

Having the whole place to myself I decide to have a self-care spa day. The hardest part was finding the right music to play. 

No music seemed to fit my mood and no shows seemed to catch my interest, so I was left in the tub in silence, with more than a dozen unwatched shows to watch. 

I didn't mind though. My mind is sometimes a wonderful place to go in, so I focused on daydreaming instead. 

Just as I was about to slip into my fantasy world, my phone rang. 

"Hello?" 

"Angel Adams!!" My mom's voice exclaims through the speakers, almost startling me. 

"Hi, manmi." 

"Do you not have a mother anymore? Why haven't you called us? Did you quit another job again?" 

"I have been busy with the same job I had for the past year manmi," I answered, ignoring the show she is putting on. "How are you?"