Moving Forwards

Standing in front of the Ruby Palace Jeanette stared blankly at the trees where Athansia’s carraige had disappeared. She didn't know what to be more insulted by, the fact that her half sister had left without meeting her or that none of the servants had thought to tell her about it. As the beautiful carriage rolled out of sight the servants who had gathered to say goodbye left, slowly returning to their duties.

“How wonderful! … The Princess’s debut sounded just like a dream!”

“She’s grown so much since then, our princess must have been the most beautiful lady in attendance.”

“I can’t wait for her highness to visit again! … She promised to model her dress for us next time!”

Moving back inside the Ruby Palace the maids cheerfully chatted about their cherished princess’s debutante. Even after the first princess’s departure it was clear to see the atmosphere had changed. The stern faced maids who had greeted her the night before were nowhere to be seen. Instead they were gossiping like young ladies in love, without a care in the world.

‘How, how can everyone like her so much but ignore me?’

At the Alpheus mansion the servants had always treated her well but here in the Palace it was hard to get their attention at all. Ever since she had been born she had been surrounded by capable servants who worked hard to support her.

‘My half sister must have people to help her too, that knight from before was really handsome. ...  I’ll have to ask Father to assign more servants to help me.’

✯¸.•´*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

“Daddy!”

“How many times do I have to tell you not to run?”

Even though she was late Claude chose not to say anything more worried that she would fall. Laughing lightly the princess slowed down as she slid gracefully into the seat across from him. Following behind her Felix was also smiling happily. As soon as Princess Athanasia had settled into her seat the Emperor signaled for the maids to start serving the food.

“Ah! Father, I wanted to ask you about hiring another teacher for me.”

Acting as if she had suddenly remembered something Athanasia made a simple request. In the past the Princess had gone through many teachers but none of them had ever lasted long. Regardless of how complex the subject she had absorbed their knowledge faster than anyone before her.

“I already have someone in mind as long as you approve.”

“Another teacher Princess?”

Voicing his surprise Felix couldn’t help but wonder what the princess wanted to learn this time.

“Yes, since I've already had my debutante I’d like to learn more about how to interact with other nobles my age. I’ve taken equiquite classes before but this time it's a little different.”

“Who did you have in mind?”

In response to the Emperor's question the young princess smiled shyly. Because of the importance of educating the royal family, not just anyone could be hired as a teacher. Teachers hired by the royal family have to pass several rigorous tests in order to prove their expertise. Only the most talented and respected individuals were accepted as they may become advisors in the future.

“I know she's a bit different from my other teachers but I would like to ask Count Windrey’s daughter, Lady Eleanor.”

“A Count’s daughter? What could she teach you?”