Chapter 2 (II): Fresh... Start?

With the morning announcement, Hajime headed to the restaurant as usual. It seemed Katsumi and Nagito still weren't there.

Kazuichi sparked a discussion about yesterday, about the organization called "World Ender" and the traitor.

"No need to worry!" Nekomaru announced with confidence. "You don't have to worry about the traitor at all."

"Huh?" Hiyoko said. "You sound awfully certain."

"Of course! In fact, that so-called traitor is tied up, closely guarded at this moment and can't move at all!"

"Um..." Sonia said. "Are you perhaps referring to Komaeda-san, whom we have not heard of since yesterday?"

"Who else could it be?! Komaeda's the traitor!!!"

"Wait... What about the other part about being tied up and can't move?" Hajime asked. "Also, who's guarding him?"

...

"...AW CRRRAAAAAPPPP!!!" Nekomaru yelled with a nervous look. "H-Hey, Soda, what should we do?"

"Hey! Don't rope me into this!" Kazuichi shouted. "Then they'll find out that we... Aw crap!"

"You guys are both idiots!" Hiyoko sneered.

"Hold on... What's the meaning of this?" Mahiru asked.

"Um..."

The two of them reluctantly explained that Nagito was tied him up in the dining hall.

Despite how sudden it was, everyone agreed that it had to be done.

He is dangerous, after all.

"So... who's that guard you mentioned?" Akane asked.

"Well, by process of elimination, it could only be Hirata-san, right?" Chiaki said.

"Huh? But she wrote me a note that..." Hajime said, before trailing off.

So... she was lying about that?

"Huh? But she seems like... the least likely person to guard him..." Hiyoko remarked. "...So why would she choose to do that?"

"Well, um..." Nekomaru said. "She said she felt at fault for not realizing his true nature earlier, so... she feels responsible."

"Hey!" Mahiru shouted. "She's obviously placing too much weight on her shoulders! You should've just stopped her! Aren't you two ashamed of yourselves for leaving this to a girl?"

"B-But..." Kazuichi stuttered. "She was being really adamant about it and she didn't want anyone else to help her..."

Mahiru gave him a scowl.

"A-Anyways... I should probably bring her over," Nekomaru stammered, before leaving the restaurant.

/—/

As Katsumi finished breakfast, suddenly, she heard a knock on the door. She stood up from her table and opened the door.

Nekomaru was standing there, with a nervous expression on his face.

"Oh, good morning, Nidai-kun," Katsumi greeted.

"G-Good morning," he replied, looking nervous.

She stepped out and closed the door behind her. "What is it?"

"Well, um..." Nekomaru seemed to be gathering his thoughts. "So... me and Soda accidentally let slip about you and Komaeda, so we just want you to come over for the breakfast meeting. I'm... very sorry..."