Chapter 3 (III): Injury

Katsumi went over to the library on the second island. Because of previous events, the only time she had gone on the island was to investigate during Mahiru's death.

While Katsumi looked at the books on the shelves in the library, she heard the doors open. In her peripheral view, Hajime had been the one to step in.

"Oh... hey, Hinata-kun," she greeted. "I'm still wondering if Kuzuryu-kun is going to be okay after that whole incident. I guess we'll have to leave it to Tsumiki-san..."

The two of them spent the morning browsing the non-fiction section of the library. Afterwards, they sat down at a table.

Free Time Event (Hope Fragment 5)

"Hm... 'friends'..." Katsumi muttered to herself out loud. "I'm wondering..."

"Wondering... about what?" Hajime asked.

"Well... I hear it a lot now. We always say we're all friends, but I'm unsure. It sounds too good to be true."

"Too good to be true?"

"I mean, can I really call everyone a friend? It sounds too nice. Not that I hate it... just... I don't know... because no one's ever said that before."

"Well... You don't need to take it that seriously," Hajime reassured. "I mean... depending on your definition, it can be broader than what you might be thinking."

"Huh? Really?"

"...Yeah. As long as you have a positive relationship with someone, you could call them a friend, right?"

"Oh... I see..." She hadn't really thought about it that way. She was under the impression that it had a super complex definition she hadn't quite grasped yet. "That's... interesting... So it is possible..." She sighed to herself. "I'm sorry. Even after everything, I still don't know how to hold a proper conversation. Do you have any advice?"

"Advice? I don't really have much off the top of my head..."

"Don't worry. Anything goes since I'm sure you're better at me than this."

"Really? That's some high praise." Hajime closed his eyes in thought. "Um... Just... say whatever comes naturally, maybe...?"

"Hm? But... nothing I say or think sounds natural..."

"It's fine. I... heard that the more comfortable and accustomed you are to someone, the easier it is for topics to come out naturally."

She stared. "Wouldn't that mean I'm still not comfortable around you?"

"Huh? Oh... well... but I guess if you put it that way..."

"I'm sorry. I really don't want to feel that way."

"Huh? If it's a feeling... there's no need to apologize for it."

"But... that's not true." Katsumi stared back at Hajime with a fierce, determined gaze. "I really do feel comfortable around you. I'm not sure how to describe it in words, but when I'm around you, I feel at ease, almost like it's magic. Do you think that might be part of your talent?"

"My talent? I don't know about that... The fact that I don't remember it probably means it wasn't even that integral in my life."

"I don't believe that. I think your talent... whatever it is, must be an amazing one. You got scouted to Hope's Peak Academy, right?"

"Even then, what you said about how you felt around me, I don't think that would be part of any kind of talent..."

"Whether or not it has to do with your talent doesn't matter to me, though... I don't know if it's just a trait shared in all friends, since..." Katsumi hung her head, fiddling with her bag strap as her voice grew quieter. "I haven't had any for a long time..." She quickly lifted her head, pretending she had never said that, "but at the end of the day, I just want to say... I think that ability of yours is amazing."