Chapter 1 (II): Celebrate

⚠️ATTENTION⚠️: All the parts of Chapter 1 of this fic have been officially overhauled and rewritten as of 2023/12/29. If you started reading any part of Chapter 1 before this date, I'm very sorry but I urge you to go back to the very beginning aka Chapter 1 (I), otherwise nothing will make sense lol. As always, ty for reading!

(A/N: /—/ is POV change btw)

Katsumi groggily lifted her head from her desk to the beeping of her alarm clock. She rubbed her eyes as she was greeted by the dawn sunlight through the windows.

As usual, she hadn't dreamt at all, making it seem like she had only slept for an instant. Morning seemed to arrive too fast, but alas, there was nothing she could do about it.

After her morning routine, she sat down to do more work in her notebook. Because of the supermarket trip, she had gotten lots more paper and extra notebooks, so she could always resort to those if she ever ran out of pages. Around an hour passed before the chime sounded from the monitor speaker.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

The monitor lit up with Monokuma, as usual. "Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... Gooooood morning, everyone! Looks like today is gonna be another perfect, tropical day! Now then, let's show some enthusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!"

Meet up at the restaurant... like Togami-kun said...

After the whole ordeal yesterday, does he have anything in mind as our leader?

She closed her notebook and put her things back on her desk with a light sigh, then headed out to the hotel restaurant.

"Ah, Katsumi-chan!"

Right as she was about to enter the hotel lobby, Katsumi turned her head to be greeted by Mahiru. "Oh... good morning, Koizumi-san."

"Yeah, good morning. Well, maybe it's not really that good of a morning..." Mahiru frowned, holding her arms close to her body. "I hope you had a better last night than me. I couldn't get much sleep with how many things were on my mind."

"That's understandable. Monokuma's announcement must've made everyone on edge."

"Yeah... so I was thinking that I could prepare some yummy desserts and tea and invite some people to chat. That'll make everyone feel better, right? I don't really know how to make desserts, but I guess I'll figure that out later. So as you can see, you're invited!"

It took a while for Katsumi to process that. "Huh? Me?

"Yeah, I'm planning on making this a girls-only gathering, too. How about it?"

This is a thing that girls do to hang out... "So... I'm really invited? For real?"

"Yeah. It'll be fun, I'm sure!" Upon seeing Katsumi's expression, Mahiru flinched a little. "Sorry... Is there an issue?"

"...No, not at all," Katsumi quickly said. "I'm more than glad to join. Thank you, Koizumi-san."

"No need!" Mahiru smiled sweetly. "It'll be in the restaurant after breakfast, 'kay?"

"O-Okay." Katsumi quietly said as she watched Mahiru walk off into the restaurant.

I... got invited to a casual gathering by a classmate.

Katsumi stood there, awkwardly fidgeting as a warm, fuzzy feeling spread throughout her body. Was this joy?

After a couple of seconds, she quickly shook her head to rid herself of that feeling, heading on over to the hotel restaurant.