Chapter 1 (IV): Backstab

⚠️ATTENTION⚠️: All the parts of Chapter 1 of this fic have been officially overhauled and rewritten as of 2023/12/29. If you started reading any part of Chapter 1 before this date, I'm very sorry but I urge you to go back to the very beginning aka Chapter 1 (I), otherwise nothing will make sense lol. As always, ty for reading!

Monokuma took a seat in the judge's chair.

"Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial. During the class trial, you will present your arguments for who the killer is, and vote for 'whodunnit'. If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone besides the blackened, and that person will earn the right to leave this island!"

"S-Such a cruel rule...!" Monomi was currently tied up excessively with straw rope, hanging from the ceiling and dangling next to the Monokuma's judge's chair.

"Before we begin, I'd like to confirm one thing," Nagito said. "Is there really a killer among us?"

"Most definitely..." Monokuma's straightforward answer caused a jolt in Katsumi's stomach. "There's no doubt that the blackened is lurking among you. Such a sad state of affairs, isn't it? By the way, this class trial is gonna be 100 percent fair, so there's no need to worry. Now let's begin!"

"Y-You're telling us to begin... but what are we supposed to do?" Mikan asked.

"Didn't that Togami bastard get killed in the dining hall, huh?" Fuyuhiko smirked. "Then everyone there is a fuckin' suspect."

"Yeah, yeah." Mahiru sighed. "What you're really trying to say is that you're not the killer, right?"

"No shit... You guys went off on your own and started killing each other. This has nothing to do with me..."

"Huh?" Mahiru scowled. "What does that mean?"

"A-Anyway..." Nagito said, attempting to end the arguing, "why don't we try talking about the most pressing issue on our minds? You know... where we found the body. It's very strange to find a body underneath a table."

"Then... let's start with that mystery," Chiaki said.

Yeah... Katsumi silently gripped the strap of her bag. If she was right, then why would they go out of their way to help so much? That meant there was no need for her to have been worrying so much. She could put that aside and focus on helping with the class trial.

"So... why was Togami-kun's body in a place like that?" Nagito asked the class.

"His body was underneath the table..." Gundham noted, "at the very back of the dining hall.

"After the killer murdered Togami..." Kazuichi said. "...they probably moved the body there."

"No, that's wrong!" Hajime was the first to refute the claim. "I don't think the killer moved the body."

"Yeah..." Nagito agreed. "Try to remember what the body looked like when we found it under the table..."

"Think back to the blood splatter as well," Katsumi said to Kazuichi. "Getting killed, then dragged under the table wouldn't have been able to create that bloodstain. It's pretty simple to see."

"Arghhh!" Kazuichi cried. "And here I thought I had a genius idea!"

"But if the killer didn't move the body, why was it under the table?" Ibuki asked.

"Togami was probably killed... under the table," Hajime answered. "Tsumiki and Hirata's autopsy results prove this."

"That's right," Katsumi said. "After a blood pattern analysis of the bloodstain on the tablecloth, it's pretty safe to conclude that Togami-kun was killed under the table in a position similar to how we found him."