Bunk Beds- Hwang Hyunjin

"Actually, your roommate is male, Miss Nam Y/n. We can change your room if you feel uncomfortable, but that could take a while and we have a shorta-"

"No, it's fine. I understand the situation."

"You need not be worried. He is very respectful, I can assure you that you'll be facing no issues with him."

The conversation with the dorm head replayed in my head as I stood in front of room 208, suitcase in hand.

I didn't really mind sharing with a boy. Sure, it would be awkward, and there'd be privacy issues, but it wasn't such a big deal.

I was just excited that I got to pursue a subject that I was passionate about, creative writing. I never thought I'd have the privilege to pick this major, but life was on my side this time.

Pulling out my key, I inserted it into the door lock. But to my surprise, it was already open.

He's already here.

Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door.

When the door opened, I was surprised yet again.

He was nothing like I imagined he would be.

With sharp features, framed by long blonde hair, my new roommate Hwang Hyunjin greeted me with an awkward bow. 

"Oh, you must be my new roommate." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm Hwang Hyunjin, nice to meet you."

I smiled, hoping to ease him. "Nam Y/n, I hope we'll get along well."

He was listening with his mouth slightly agape, but as I finished, gave me the most beautiful smile.

"I feel the same way."

He opened the door wider, showing me the small room.

The first thing I noticed was the bunk beds, lined against the wall. Opposite to it was a desk and chair, taking up most of the place. In the corner, a floor table with a microwave sat right beside the window. Other than Hyunjin's suitcase by the corner, and the door to the bathroom, there was nothing else in the room.

"Well, it's a little cramped, but we can manage right?" Hyunjin tried to sound positive.

"Hm yeah, we don't really need anything more," I reassured him.

"So," he pointed to the bunk beds. "Top or bottom?"

"Well, you must have one in mind, which one do you prefer?"

"No no, you should pick what you want."

Accessing the situation, I nodded to myself. "How about on the count of three, we say which one we want out loud?"

He thought it over, then nodded.

"Three, two..." I counted down. "One!"

"Top!" He shouted.

"Bottom!" I yelled at the same time.

"Well, that's settled nicely." I sat down on my new bed.

"Yeah." He climbed up to his bed. "Oh yeah, I like this~"

He bounced on the bed a couple of times, making it creak. I laughed, looking up just in time to see his head hit the ceiling.

"Yeah never doing that again." He pouted down at me, rubbing his head.

***

Hyunjin and I didn't really talk much, because we were busy. We exchanged the normal greetings, exchanged numbers to let each other know when we'd be coming back to the dorm, amongst other things. I'd be working when he'd come back after classes, and asleep when he leaves for morning lectures. We never really got the chance to sit down and talk.