Chapter 37

Regret

"Don't worry, Elias is watching over our son so we can stay out until you feel better," he whispered.

Tumango ako. Tahimik niya akong hinintay kumalma sa loob ng sasakyan. I cried hard earlier, even when he brought me to his car, and strangely, I felt fine with it. If there is one thing I am proud of learning over the past years, it is finally accepting that I cannot be strong all the time. More so, there is no need to portray a strong facade with people whom you know you can depend on, and won't judge or take advantage of your vulnerability.

Finally, I learned that there is courage and unmeasurable strength in acknowledging your feelings, and embracing your weaknesses. Because only in time of weakness you can realize how strong and brave you actually are.

Kaya nang kumalma ako, hindi pa rin ako naasiwa kahit alam kong titig na titig siya sa akin. Nasa parking lot pa rin kami at hinintay niya akong tumahan.

Sa kanya, wala akong pakealam maging mahina. Even then and until now, he is my safe fortress.

"Can I hold your hand?" his voice was exceptionally baritone now in a close space.

I swallowed hard but in the end, I listened to my heart. I nodded.

He sighed in relief and slowly held my hand. He even intertwined our fingers. Nagkatinginan kami. He smiled a little and wiped the unshed tears on my cheek.

"You never fail to amaze me with your strength, Grace. You brought our son into this world, and you made the first move to your estranged mother. That takes a lot of courage and strength."

Parang may humaplos sa puso ko dahil doon.

His words felt like a tap in the shoulder. And sometimes, people forget that even strong people need encouragement and acknowledgement.

"I thought she had a change of heart. But she's still reluctant," mahina kong sinabi.

"She will realize it soon, Grace. One step at a time," he smiled as he gently tucked some strands of my hair at the back of my ear.

I sighed. Ilang sandali kaming binalot ng katahimikan. And even with the growing silence, I still felt comfortable.

"Do you want to go home already or do you want to go somewhere else first?"

Napatingin ako sa kanya. A smile curved on his lips.

"I'll take you out on a date. If you agree," he smirked.

My heart throbbed. It was as if all my pain was slightly relieved by the thought of going out on a date with him. It was on another level of happiness.

"Saan?"

"Well, we have limited options since it's already late but... there are still some places open where we can eat and stroll around."

Umawang ang aking labi.

"Are you willing to go on a food bazaar? I mean-"

"Of course," I said whole-heartedly.

This is one of the things I loved about him. I was always the glamarous and inaccessible Grecianna Villacorta but with him, there is no fuss. Just... Grace.

Mapaglaro siyang nagtaas ng kilay at pinasadahan ang suot ko. I came from a party so I looked so dressed up.

"I think... that will do," he joked.

I chuckled.

Bahagyang nanlaki ang mga mata niya nang narinig ang halakhak ko. I smiled at him.