Chapter 3

First Time

I didn't expect us to come home the next day. I thought we were going to stay for a few more days, or even just another day, but Julius knocked on my door telling me wake up early tomorrow.

Natulala ako kay Julius nang ibinalita niya iyon sa akin. Gabi na at kakatapos lang namin parehong magbanlaw. Nakausuot na ako ng pajama na ipinahiram at handa na sana para sa panibagong araw sa isla bukas ngunit ito ang binungad niya sa akin. Only the yellowish lamps from the wooden pillars were lit. Nakahawak pa ako sa doorknob at siya naman ay nasa labas ng pinto, tinitimbang ang reaksyon ko.

"My men informed me that they already prepared the chopper. I have also contacted your parents and they will fetch us in the private helipad."

Umawang ang aking labi. My company here are strangers but I feel at ease. It's ironic how I can feel more comfortable with strangers around than my own family. The mansion is huge but it feels little. The thought of coming home already made me feel tired. That alone exhausted me.

"Grace?" he called when I didn't answer.

"Y-Yeah," nasagot ko na lang. "Sure thing."

Nagtagal ang titig niya sa akin. Niliitan ko na ang siwang ng pinto ngunit nanatili siya sa labas, parang may tinitimbang o ano. I faked a cough and stood straight so he won't think something is wrong.

"We can extend if you wish to-"

"No, I don't wish to. I want us to go home right away."

He pursed his lips and nodded in the end. I looked away and slightly closed the door again but he did not move. Nagkatinginan kami.

"Oh. Sorry," he said like he snapped back into reality. "Good night, Grace."

"Hmm," tango ko sabay sarado ng pinto.

Marahan akong naglakad patungo sa dulo ng kama habang nakatanaw sa labas. Nakahawi ang kurtina at kitang-kita ang dagat at ang langit. The sky was dotted with a moon and a lone star. The crystal clear water shone upon the reflection of the moonlight. Umihip ang mabinhing hangin at sumaway ang mga kurtina. I shivered when the cold win enveloped my skin so I put my feet on the edge of the bed and hugged myself.

I should be grateful that we can finally go home tomorrow and the operation was fast and successful because it only means that I am safe. But the thought of the four walls of my room suffocated me. Palaisipan sa akin kung bakit sa napakalaking mansion na iyon ay tila kay sikip para sa akin.

When I come home to Casa Fuego, I am once again tangled in my mother's plans for my marriage and her scheme in coveting the inheritance from my dearly beloved cousin. Aside from that, I am forced to take a position in our family's companies when I don't even want to be in the business industry. I feel like I still have so many things to know and explore about myself.

Iilang araw pa lang akong narito pero pakiramdam ko kay tagal ko nang nakatakas sa mansion. It is alarming that I feel safer in a temporary place with strangers around than in our home with my family. My grandmother is very supportive, and my father is clueless about Mama's scheme. Umalis ang aking kapatid kaya kanino ako tatakbo?

"Why would you need someone to run to?" I whispered to myself while staring at the reflection of the moonlight in the sea.

People say I am more aggressive and sensible than the Villacorta men of my generation. Unlike them, I have less drama in my life, or at least what the public knows of. I was my father's "the son he never had". They say I am a rebellious and stern princess because I show them no sign of weakness when truth is, I am merely a puppet princess.