Chapter 21

Dearest Julius

Neither of Mama and I were heavily injured, but I was still sent to the hospital for my wounds. I fainted for a short while until I gained conscious in the hospital. Si Lola ay agad isinugod sa hospital dahil halos atakihin siya sa puso sa nangyari.

The van drove away immediately after our car crashed on the sideway. Umusok ang sasakyan at ang huling memorya ko ay ang nakitang pagharurot ng takbo ng mga van.

The locals helped us, and called the police. Mama is a resolute woman so instead of going to the hospital, she went straight to the precinct and coordinated with our men. Hindi na ako nagtaka na hindi na nagpadala si Mama sa hospital at siya na mismo ang namahala sa lahat. She's that kind of woman.

The incident shocked me. Ang tanging naiisip ko lang, paano kung may nangyaring masama sa amin? I am worried about Lola. She's old and her heart is vulnerable.

The driver was heavily injured, too. If he didn't intentionally crashed the car in the sideway, the van would have tailed us until something worse could've happened. I think the driver also crashed the car to make the van believe that we were helpless and that their job was done.

At hindi rin mawala sa isipan ko na ang mga bodyguards na dinala namin, na lahat ay galing sa Manriquez security, ay walang ginawa. Kasabwat sila ng dalawang van. And I can vividly remember seeing the Manriquez security logo in the black vans. I couldn't be mistaken! I saw all of it! Bukod pa roon, nasaan ang dalawang bodyguard ko na galing din sa mga tauhan ni Julius?

There's no denying it anymore. The Manriquez security are the ones involved for this incident. Pero bakit? Why would the Manriquez family do that to us?

Nakatulala ako habang nakasandal sa hospital bed. Conor immediately flew via chopper and now he's here with me. Tahimik akong pinagmamasdan habang si Papa ay kasama ni Mama ngayon.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

I nodded. I still couldn't form words.

Hindi ako makapaniwalang ang mga Manriquez ang involved doon. Our families have been friends for a very long time. Sa pagkakaalam ko, wala naman kaming atraso sa kanila. Why would they do that to us?

Hindi naman pwedeng kumilos ang tauhan nila nang walang go signal sa nasa itaas. I am sure the Manriquez family knows about this. I felt a sting in my chest when I realized Julius... let this happen.

"I shouldn't be here, Conor. I should be with Mama because I witnessed everything!"

"You fainted and that's not a good sign. We can handle this-"

"I am a witness!"

"And so was Tita Rose. Please, just stay until the doctor gives you a go signal."

Mataman ang tingin sa akin ni Conor. I looked away because I felt so helpless. I feel so betrayed. Did Julius really let that happen to us? Was he part of this plan? He's the head so he would've known about this ambush!

Tumulo ang luha ko. There's nothing more painful than a betrayal from a person you have trusted the most. He guarded all this time, and saved me twice, so why would he let this happen now?

"I saw it, Conor. I saw the logo of the Manriquez agency! Why would the Manriquez's do this to us?" nabasag ang boses ko.

"I don't have an idea, Grace. Your parents are coordinating with our men now for an investigation. Hindi ko rin maisip kung ano ang pwede nilang dahilan dahil wala namang aberya sa pagitan ng mga pamilya natin. I am also very clueless..." nahihirapan niyang sinabi, tila nalilito na rin.