Chapter 17: When shit hit the fan

Her heart pounded in her ears as she stared at him. His face was screaming even though he himself was quiet.

Nothing seemed real from that moment on, Holly felt like she was watching the scene from an above, transcending view. Plato's idea of the cave seemed very real right now and she hoped he was right.

Kieren looked between Holly and him, his expression seemingly pained.

"Holly-out! Now!" the principal, Mr. Fleming, was screamed at her.

Her face went blank before flaring up with red embarrassment. She did as she was told, leaving Kieren in the frying pan, knowing she'd be in the fire soon.

The screaming started as soon as she left, closing the door quietly behind her.

"WHAT WAS THAT MR.JOYCE! EXPLAIN!" Mr. Fleming screamed.

Holly couldn't hear Kieren's response if he even had one.

"AND HoW LONg HAS IT BeeN GOiNg ON!" Mr. Fleming continued, as her ears strained to listen through the heavy door. Holly found herself hoping she could back up a fake story that Kieren might be telling.

"You know I'm going to have to report this and you'll never get a job again," she heard.

His voice seemed to quieten but she could still hear.

"I love her!" She suddenly heard, Kieren's voice finding it's way.

Her heart skipped a beat, wondering if what she was hearing was real or if her senses were failing her again.

"That's irrelevant Mr. Joyce," Mr. Fleming said solemnly.

He was silent again and Holly's heart stopped completely when the door opened again, the principal walking out straight past her, ignoring her.

"What did he say?" Holly said, interrogated him once they were clear again.

"I'm fired," Kieren said, defeated, not even able to look at Holly.

"Oh," was all Holly could mutter as tears threatened to escape her.

Kieren pulled Holly into a hug and she swore if was looking at his face, she would see his tears.