Chapter Fourteen: Medieval Dance Party

Medieval Dance Party

“Draw!” The first judge decreed, raising both a black flag and a red to indicate the tie.

Lori let out the breath she’d been holding as everyone around them began to murmur excitedly.

Many warriors had experienced a draw during the first round against their ruler; this was not the cause for the new excitement that moved through the crowd. This had more to do with the fact that a human woman had managed to earn a draw on the first round against the lord of Wolfgard – something many would have considered impossible had they not just witnessed it firsthand.

Now, instead of a humoring sort of atmosphere, a real wave of competitive interest moved the assembled crowd. Some, most of them women, wished Lori luck and gave her words of encouragement as she pulled out the second arrow from the quiver she’d laid on the ground beside her.

Lori could feel at least a hundred set of eyes on her, but if she bothered to look back now, she knew she’d be done for. Taking another deep breath, she loaded her bow and waited for her second mark.

Aiden’s voice called out loud and strong, telling them to get ready. The second target was further away but Lori remembered Michael’s instruction: The trick is to breathe through the shot, Lori. Don’t close your eyes. Focus on the target, and remember to breathe.

She took in another breath and exhaled slowly. At Aiden’s second shout, her second arrow cut through the air just a half second behind Eric’s. She could just make out the solid thunk from where she stood. She watched the second judge move to each target and examine the shots. He took longer than the first, but in the end he too raised both flags and announced a draw.

There were shocked and excited voices all around them. Not many men  had managed to draw in a second round against Eric. This had quickly become an exciting tournament for everyone present - including Eric's own men.

The third and final shot would be the deciding factor.

As she watched the third and final target was set up about a full football field length away – roughly 100 yards (91m). The target was placed on a moving pedestal in the shape of a large charger by two of Eric’s men. The horse shape was crude and missing some of the finer details, but accurate in size for a war horse. The target was strapped into what was to pass for the upper torso of the horse’s rider. It was clear this was to be a cavalry shot. One of the men set the target in motion and they both scurried out of the way of the wildly moving beast. As she watched, the mechanical target moved from a trot, to a full run, to a lazy gallop within seconds of each other, but all within a small perimeter of space.

Lori swallowed, feeling the bile rise in her throat. She hadn’t had much practice on moving targets. Even shooting paintball with her brother and his friends back when she’d been in high school wouldn’t have prepared her for this.

As the final signal was given that the target was set, Lori took a few steps backwards to watch Eric take his final shot. He didn’t even hesitate as he took his mark, waited for Aiden’s signal and let loose. Lori watched as his arrow crossed the distance swiftly, hitting the center target perfectly.       

Eric turned and gave her a gracious smile, “Your turn, lass.”

Lori swallowed back the awful taste in her mouth and took her mark one last time.