Chapter 27

Nearly a month passed since Dan, Steph, and the others left. It was weird not getting to see them every day but I was slowly getting used to it. 

Ben and I walked hand in hand into a coffee shop, grabbing a drink before we met up with the rest of the cast for the celebration of the four-hundredth show. Later on in the week, we'd be meeting up with my parents since we were in my hometown of Richmond, Virginia.   As we sat, a vibrating noise came. 

Ben sighed as he pulled his phone out of his back pocket. "I'm sorry," 

"Baby, answer it," I laughed. 

He got up, leaving to the back of the shop, and started the call. I sipped on my drink, nervously waiting to hear whatever the call was about.

Ben smiled widely but then his face dropped. He ended the call, weaving through the crowd of people back to our table. 

"So, what's up?" I asked. 

He looked up. "Okay, this is a lot and I know that, but I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure I got it." 

I quirked a brow. "Got what?" 

"There's a new show coming to the theaters in New York. It's called Tuck Everlasting." 

"Oh, I read the book in school." 

"Yeah, exactly. There was actually a movie of it too if I'm not mistaken. They're adapting it into a show. My agent contacted me about it a few months ago and...I got the job. I'm going to be part of the ensemble."

My jaw dropped. "Ben...that's amazing! Oh my gosh!" I got up and hugged him tightly. "When is it?" 

His features dropped and sadness filled his wonderful eyes. "I leave in January." 

My heart dropped to my stomach. "Two--two months? You--you leave in two months?" 

He pulled me to him in a hug. "I don't want to leave you." 

I pulled away, placing a hand on his cheek. "Ben, this is Broadway. This is your dream. I want you to live it." 

He smiled, but sadness still filled his eyes. "I wish you could come with me." 

My heart panged. "I...I do too. But this, this is like once in a lifetime type things. You have to go for this. Does Mr. C know?" 

"He knew that I was auditioning and all that jazz, but he obviously doesn't know that I got it. I'll have to put my notice in." 

I nodded. "Well...uh..." My hand came to my head. "Sorry, my head is spinning." 

Laughter bubbled up his throat and I realized what I had said. 

"That wasn't even intentional." I giggled. "Okay, okay, focus, India. Does anyone else know?"

He shook his head. 

"Whoa...Josh and Sky are gonna be--" 

"Shocked? Ticked?"

"Something like that. Is this why you were on the phone so much?" 

"Yeah. My agent was contacting me like crazy, giving me updates and stuff like that." He took a sip of his drink, slurping down the rest of it. 

"But, you never left for an in-person audition, so how'd they hire you?" 

"My agent sent in a tape I filmed and the casting directors knew right off that they wanted me. At least that was what I was told." 

I sat back, trying to take it all in. My boyfriend was going to be on Broadway. My boyfriend was going to be leaving me in two months. My boyfriend was going to be living his dream.

I didn't want him to leave me. I wanted him to stay. I didn't want to be separated from him. 

But, there was no way that I would say something to keep him back here. I wanted him to live his dream. No matter if he were here in front of me, or a world away from me, I would still support him. 

"Ben, I'm so happy for you. I can't believe my boyfriend is going to be on Broadway! I'm going to miss you severely, but, I'm so proud of you already!" I hugged him tightly again. 

He hugged me back, releasing a shaky breath. "I'm going to miss you." 

"I'm going to miss you too. But, we can make it work, I think." 

"I think we can too." 

~~~

I watched as Ben pulled Josh and Sky to the side as everyone mingled. Their expressions and actions gave me all the answers I needed on their reactions. It shifted from happiness to shock, to sadness, and then all over again. 

Sky pointed to me and when he looked at me, I nodded. The three of them migrated over to me. 

"How long have you known?" Sky asked. 

"I found out an hour ago." 

Josh sighed. "Well, another one of us has turned into a scabber. You're leaving us, but dude, you're going to do great!" He clapped him on the back. 

"Yeah, man, you are." Sky agreed. 

"When are you going to tell everyone else?" Josh asked. 

"Tonight after the show," Ben said, before shoving a piece of cake in his mouth. 

~~~

"INDIA!" 

I laughed as Mom ran to me, latching her arms around me tightly. 

"Hey, Momma," 

"How's my baby?" 

"I'm good, and you?" 

She pulled away, wiping at her face. "I'm good. I've missed you so much." 

I grinned. "It's good to be home." 

"Hey, Ben!" Mom hugged him. "How are you, sweetie?" 

"I'm great, Mrs. Logans. You?" 

"I'm wonderful." 

"This is all she's been talking about for two weeks," Dad chuckled as he hugged me, then shook Ben's hand. 

"Well, I've hardly seen my baby this year!" 

"She's my daughter, too, Bridgette," 

"Oh." She swatted his arm playfully.

He smiled. 

Ben and I shared a smile. 

"Well, let's go eat. I'm starved," Dad said. 

As we ate, we shared stories with Mom and Dad.

"And--" I fought back tears from laughing so hard. "I fell flat on my face in front of everyone!" 

Everyone was heartily laughing at this point. 

"I--I was trying to make sure she was okay and I nearly called out her name instead of her character's." Ben chuckled. 

Mom wiped a tear away with her napkin. "Oh, that's hilarious!" 

"That's great," Dad chuckled. 

"There are so many stories but so little time." I sighed. 

"Well, we'll have the time again. We're always a phone call away." 

~~~

I came back to my room that night and collapsed on the bed. I sighed as I pulled my shoes off. I looked up at the dresser at the picture of me and Ben that I had printed off from my phone. It was our first selfie. 

Then it hit me. He was leaving me. 

It was only then that I released my tears.