Chapter 17 ~ Darcy

Chapter 17 ~ Darcy

“Do you love him?” My little sister asks me when I’m in her room to kiss her goodnight. I look at her surprised and confused and she giggles. “Liam, I mean. Do you love him?” clarifies the little girl.

I’m still surprised then I giggle. My little sister, always so blunt. She definitely doesn’t know how to be subtle but I love her that way, it’s just a consequence of her brutal honesty.

“It’s too soon to tell,” I answer with a smile making myself comfortable next to her on her bed. “I care about him and we have fun together, but it’s too soon to know whether I love him or not.”

Lizzie looks at me confused as if she can’t understand why it’s too soon, as if my words make no sense to her and that makes me giggle a bit more. I guess I miss being her age when things were so simple. You loved the prince charming or not. It was whether black or white, no shades yet. But as you grow up, you discover how complex the world is and how nothing is simple anymore.

“Love, real love, takes time. You need to know the person first before saying if you love him. Liam and I are just starting a relationship and in the future, after we’ve got to know each other better, I’ll know if I love him or not,” I try to explain it to her caressing her soft curls.

“Why don’t you love him already? He’s amazing!” Oh Lizzie, always a Liam fan. “And I’m sure he loves you.”

“That only he knows, Lizzie. I fancy him very much,” I add with a smile. “But love takes more than being amazing. Love has to grow like a plant, you know? Like the flowers we have. You have to take care of them, water them, right?” She nods, following my analogy. “With love is the same. It takes time and a lot of care, otherwise it doesn’t grow and it may even die. What I feel for Liam now is the seed of something greater, but only time will tell if it grows into love or not.”

Lizzie thinks of what I’ve told her for a couple of minutes and I know she’s making an effort, I can tell by the way her brow furrows lightly until she smiles and her eyes are shining. “It will grow in the most beautify flower of love!” She exclaims and I chuckle. It’s a cute way to call it.

“We’ll see, now you need to sleep because tomorrow we have to go to the airport really early, remember?” I tell her and her smile grows wider and I can feel her excitement; it’s bubbling inside of me as well.

Mum gets home tomorrow.

“Good night, sweet dreams and don’t let the bed bugs bite you!” I tell her pulling her nose just to mess with her. I’ve done this since she’s a baby and she always reacts the same way: with a fit of giggles.

I leave her room after she wishes me good night and walk to my room to prepare myself to go to bed. I take my mobile from my nightstand and I see the notification of a text and I immediately smile when I see his name on the screen.

It has been almost a week since our date and we’ve seen each other only once and it was very briefly. He came over to see us after a photoshoot they had but he had to go soon, he was really tired. He was even paler than usual, reason why I insisted so much on him going home to get rest. Despite we haven’t seen each other as much as I would like we are always in touch. Little texts here and there, a call at night to wish good night and those kinds of things. I don’t text him all the time because I don’t want to seem clingy or needy. Carter told me that it’s never good to be like that because it gets annoying after a while.

Sometimes Liam sends me pictures when something funny or bizarre happens and we laugh. We’ve also had some FaceTime and even Harry had joined us, telling me how much he misses Lizzie and he’s dying to see us again. That boy is really attached to my little sister already and I know that she looks at him with adoration in her beautiful eyes.