Chapter Twenty-two: Can we fix everything?

(Time skip! Five years later!)

I was reading a book out loud in the living room thinking (Y/N) was listening. She always loved it when I read to her. I think I'm losing it. I've done this for five years now and my dagger is looking real friendly. Yes, I've been thinking about joining her but I know she wouldn't want that. Just to stop myself, I've locked all my daggers away and buried the key. I stopped reading and put on some of (Y/N)'s music. It was the song we danced to at our wedding.

Masquerade from the Phantom of the Opera. My suggestion. I felt it would be best if we all wore masks so (Y/N) wasn't left out. Everyone came with masks and I wore one myself. I still have it. I have both masks. (Y/N) made a new mask for the wedding. She used to wear it on our anniversaries. I loved it. But not as much as I loved her. A part of the song came on where Raoul and Christine sang about their secret engagement when the music turned off. I thought it was the wire but I turned to see Thor, Hulk and Rocket at the door.

Well, Thor was at my CD player. He looked different, however. I haven't seen him in five years and it hasn't treated him well, clearly. His hair is longer than I've ever seen it, same with his beard and he has gained a lot of weight. The smell of alcohol from him was strong too.

"Brother. The years have not been kind to you," I said.

"Or you," Thor said.

"Why are you all here? I thought I asked to be left alone."

"We can get your wife back," Rocket said.

I looked at him then at the picture of (Y/N). It's not possible. She's gone. The stones are gone.

"No, you can't. (Y/N) is dead, Thanos is dead and the stones are gone. There's no getting her back," I said.

"But there is," Hulk said in Bruce's normal voice, "we have found a way to go back in time, get all six infinity stones and bring everyone back. Including (Y/N)."

"And is this her? Probably fix her face too," Rocket said pointing to the picture.

"I love her just the way she is, thank you very much," I said.

"Fix it or not, we can bring her back. You will be with her again and you will be happy again," Thor said.

I agreed to help bring (Y/N) and the rest of the universe back. We took Rockets ship back to Avengers Headquarters. On the way there, Thor was drinking beer. I hated seeing my brother do this to himself. I also learned that Hulk and Bruce somehow made a deal so now he's both brains and brawn. We arrived at Avengers Headquarters where I saw everyone including Tony and Clint.

Clint has changed a bit. Rocket and Tony got to work on a time machine while Scott Lang, who we thought was snapped away, Bruce and Nebula were getting ready for a test run. I offered to do the test. I've done nothing for the past five years and now I want to do something. I was put in the suit and Nebula and Bruce did some last-minute preparations before the test.

"Wait a second. Let me ask you something. If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos? You know, and..." Rhodey explained with his hand to kill Thanos as a child to Bruce.

"First of all, that's horrible," Bruce said.

"It's Thanos."

"And secondly, time doesn't work that way. Changing the past doesn't change the future."

"Look, we go back, we get the stones before Thanos gets them... Thanos doesn't have the stones. Problem solved," Scott said.

"That's not how it works," I said.

Bruce asked Rhodey who told him his idea would work and he started naming films that deal with time travel. I haven't watched any of those films. The only time travel thing I've watched is Doctor Who. I liked that series. But it turns out that none of those films are true. I went to the device to make me go back in time. A helmet went over my head and face and I was off to the past. I arrived outside (Y/N) and I's old house. I went inside. The smell of lavender surrounded the place.

I missed that. We did go overboard with it when we first moved in and the smell has lingered for a long time. I picked up a golden heart-shaped locket that belonged to (Y/N). Inside, a picture of me and her. I heard her call me just as it was time to go. I rushed to where she was but I disappeared by the time I was almost there. I was back in Avengers Headquarters. I showed them the locket saying it worked. I got out of the suit and started discussing where we would find the stones. I put on the locket and hid it in my shirt.

We started with the Aether. They asked Thor about it but we couldn't tell if he was asleep or dead in the chair he was in. He started talking about the legend and what happened with his ex-girlfriend, Jane Foster. She had found the Aether and it took her body as a host so Thor took her to Asgard. I think I was in jail around that time before being released to work with the Avengers. He also got emotional about our mother, Frigga who was killed. He finished explaining and we talked about the Power Stone.

Peter Quill, a man Rocket once knew, stole the Power Stone from a planet called Morag. Bruce confused the planet with a person. It does sound like a name you would call someone but it's not. The Soul Stone. Thanos found it on Vormir where he murdered Nebula's sister. Time Stone. A man named Doctor Steven Strange had it. That's when I thought of something. If we go to the right time, there are three stones in New York. The Time Stone, the Mind Stone and the Space Stone. And I hate to say they were all in the same place when I was taking over New York.

Well, I know where I'm not going. So, we now know where all the Stones are. Three in New York in 2012, one on Asgard in 2013, and two on Morag and Vormir in 2014. We all got in our Time Heist outfits and went to the Time Machine. It was decided that I would go with Thor and Rocket to Asgard and try not to get caught out of my cell. Well, time to see Asgard again.