Chapter Thirteen: Mistakes

It's been a few months since Ultron happened and things have changed. For example, we have a new base. The Avengers HQ. Bruce has gone missing and we can't find him. Thor has left to find more Infinity Stones. And Wanda has officially joined the Avengers with Vision. Clint went back to his family for a while. His new baby boy was just born so he needs to be with him. (Y/N) has been helping train new recruits while I still have nothing to do. The most I can do is train or read. And if I'm going to read about anything, it would probably be about (Y/N).

I want to know more about her. And it's not because we're friends and we don't know each other well. It's because I'm falling for her. And I've fallen hard. I've never seen her face but it's just something about her that makes me love her. And after seeing the dream Wanda gave her, I want to protect her in case it comes true. I tried to search for anything on her face but any photo with her mask off is blurred. It was for the safety of others. From the blurred image, it looks like her skin wasn't the usual (S/C). It was almost black or red.

I know she was burned when I looked at her memories but does it still look fresh? The picture I'm looking at is quite recent. Well, I say recently. When she and I first met which was about three years ago now. From then, no new pictures of her maskless. But here's my question; who edited the photos? I eventually found out. It was Nick Fury. But how is he not dead?

Anyone who looks at her face dies so how is he...? She lied. She's lying to us to not reveal her face. Of course, she would. If people died just looking at her face, all our battles would be over quickly but she never suggested it. She's a good liar but not good enough when there are records to tell the truth. I left to confront her about it. She was training some of the new recruits.

"(Y/N)! We need to talk. Now," I said.

"Anything you want to say, you can say it here," she said.

"I know you're lying."

"About what?"

"Your face. Anyone who looks at it dies yet Director Fury edits every photo of you maskless but he is still alive. You're a liar."

"I'm not a liar. And you're one to talk Mr God of Lies!"

"Then you won't mind if I do this."

I took her mask off. She screamed a no and hid it quickly. She looked at me through a gap in her fingers before running off taking her mask from me. I didn't see her face. I tried to follow her but that wasn't a good idea because she pinned me to the wall before knocking me out. I woke up hours later in my room. I searched around for (Y/N) but she was nowhere to be seen. I went to the meeting room where everyone was except her.

"Where is (Y/N)?" I asked them.

"Yeah about that..." Tony said.

"What?"

"We went on a mission earlier and she was taken by HYDRA," Steve said, "they were ready for us. They took her."

"You let them take her?" I asked.

"We didn't let them. She went on her own and took her," Wanda said.

I started pacing.

"There was nothing that we could do," Steve said.

"THERE WAS! YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE LET HER GO ON HER OWN! ESPECIALLY IN A BLOODY HYDRA BASE!" I yelled.

"You love her," Wanda said.

"As a friend," I said not wanting to admit it.

"No. I'm looking inside your head and you love her. You have a crush on (Y/N)."

I went quiet. I love her more dearly than my own brother and that's saying a lot coming from me. I've never seen her face but that doesn't matter to me. She's beautiful at heart and on the inside. And that's what makes her special. I love her. I don't care if I never see her face I still love her for who she is. I know I was determined to see it today but she's uncomfortable. That's enough for me to leave it alone. After a long pause, I admitted that I loved (Y/N).

That was enough to convince them to save (Y/N) right now. We took the Quinn Jet to where the base was and Steve formed a plan. We would launch an attack. I told him no. I'm doing this alone. This is just so I can get (Y/N) out of there safe and sound. Besides, I can look like one of the guards and blend in easily. And possibly find out what they're doing to her. We ended up at Mount Kosciuszko. It's going to be very cold here. They dropped me off a bit away from the base to not cause alarm.

I told them to leave and I would find a way to contact them when I had (Y/N) out of there and safe. They left and I made my way to the base. Now, what am I doing about blending in? I may not be one of the most popular Avengers but I'm still very recognizable. I'll have to fix that. I arrived at the base and changed my outfit into a HYDRA one. I snuck around and quickly looked to see if I can disguise myself as anyone. Conveniently enough, they were expecting a new doctor to experiment on (Y/N) today.

Well, now I can find out what they're doing. I made myself look like him and I was quickly found and taken to (Y/N). I better keep up this act for a few days so I don't seem suspicious. Well, that really depends on what their plans are. I was taken into a room where a new HYDRA leader was watching through a one-way mirror. I looked to see (Y/N) chained up. Her wrists chained to the ceiling and her ankles chained to the wall behind her. Her mask was still on but she was being tortured by experiments. There's no time to wait a while, I need to get her out as soon as possible!