Chapter Eight: A new enemy

So, here we are in Sokovia trying to retrieve Loki's sceptre again. HYDRA took it again and now we need to get it. And Loki is with us. This might be one of those missions to test if Loki has really joined us. We made out way through the winter woods to the base while fighting some HYDRA soldiers on the way. Tony flew up to the building until we heard him yell through the coms.

"Shit!"

"Language!" Steve scolded, "Jarvis, what's the view from upstairs?"

"The centre building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other HYDRA base we've taken," Jarvis said.

"My sceptre must be here," Loki said, "Strucker couldn't mount this defence without it."

"At long last," Thor said.

We knocked out a few more soldiers. There are a lot of these guys.

"'At long last' is lasting a little long, guys," Nat said.

"Yeah, I think we lost the element of surprise," I said.

"Wait a second. No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?" Tony asked

"I know," I saw Steve throw the bike he was on at some soldiers in their truck, "it just slipped out."

Well, time for more fighting. I am saving Loki's ass a lot and he managed to return the favour a few times. He's become a much better fighter training with me. It's maybe been three years now since he joined the team and I think he's doing better. He's more about saving the world now instead of taking over the world. And he's getting used to teamwork. This is one long battle though. We later heard that there was an enhanced going around so watch out for that and Clint was shot at.

Well, with some of our last missions together, I'm not too surprised. And soon the shield was down so now we can get in. We were still busy outside, however. That is until we finished with the rest of the soldiers and the battle was over. Time to get the sceptre. Loki wasn't even interested in the sceptre anymore. He was a little when we heard it was stolen again but he just wanted back into safe hands and away from him. After I'm not sure how long, we went to the Quinn Jet and Clint was being treated after being shot. Loki was just bored so he played around with his illusions.

"Great job today," I said sitting near him.

"I'm getting better at being an Avenger," Loki said making his illusions disappear, "but I fear everyone on Earth will still see me as the villain."

"I know how you feel, Loki. They'll see you're good. You just have to do the right thing and earn the people's trust. You already have mine and the others. Baby steps and soon it'll be like the whole New York thing was a misunderstanding."

"You talk pretty. But they've made up their minds."

"Trust me, Loki. Everything will work out fine."

We arrived back at the Avengers Tower. Clint got treated and the rest of us did our own thing. Three days later, Tony hosted a party, again. I think it's normal at this point. Loki and I weren't really party people but now we go there every time and Loki will teach me how to dance. He's taught me maybe every dance now except the waltz. He claims it's too tricky for me but I can tell deep down he wants to teach me it. And that's really all we do at Tony's parties.

We just learn new dances and don't socialize with anyone. Nothing new with us. The only socialising that happens with us two is just us. I think we have a friendship going on. But I don't know. Loki is weird when it comes to friends. After a while, most of the guests leave leaving all of us including Agent Maria Hill and Doctor Cho. The boys were claiming that the whole 'only those who are worthy can lift Thor's hammer' thing is a trick. That is until we tried it.

Absolutely no one could pick it up. Steve was close but gave up. And me, the strongest out of all the Avengers, couldn't pick it up either. Loki knew that no one but Thor could pick it up so he was just amused. But for our enjoyment, he tried to pick it up but that wasn't happening.

"All in deference to the man who wouldn't be king, but it's rigged," Tony said.

"You bet your ass," Clint said.

"Steve, he said a bad language word," Maria said.

"Did you tell everyone about that?" Steve asked Tony.

"The handle is imprinted, right?" Tony asked, "like a security code. 'Whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprints' is, I think, the literal translation."

"Well, that's is a very, very interesting theory. But I believe Thor has a simpler one," Loki said smiling.

Thor picked up the hammer with ease, "you're all not worthy."

There was a lot of disagreements that came from the others while the Asgardian brothers looked amused. Then there was a loud, high-pitched noise making us all cringe at the sound. Tony brought out one of his devices to see what it was when we heard a male voice come from somewhere. We looked in the direction of the voice to see one of Tony's Iron Legions all broken and deformed, and possibly leaking oil.

"No, how could you be worthy? You're all killers," it said.

"Stark," Steve said.

"Jarvis," Tony said.

Jarvis didn't answer. What's is this? Where's Jarvis? What's going on?

"I'm sorry, I was asleep," the thing apologised, "or... I was a dream."

Tony tried to reboot the odd creation in front of us but nothing would respond.

"There was a terrible noise... and I was tangled in... in... strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy," it said.

"You killed someone?" Loki asked.

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world, we're faced with ugly choices," it said.

"Who sent you?" Thor asked.

The thing played a recording of Tony's voice, "I see a suit of armour around the world."

"Ultron!" Bruce realised.

"In the flesh," Ultron said, "or, no, not yet. Not this... chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission."

"What mission?" I asked.

"Piece of our time."

Some of Tony's Iron Legion burst through the walls and attacked us, sending us flying. We were shot at, blown up, and knocked back. As we weren't properly prepared for something like this, we fought against the Legion with anything we had. Loki saved my ass from one of them by pushing me out of the way and took a hit between his arm and shoulder. We fought them to the best of our abilities before they were all destroyed. I thanked Loki for the save but he brushed it off as we still had Ultron left.

"That was dramatic! I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to...evolve?" Ultron picked up one of the dismembered Iron Legions, "With these? These puppets?" he crushed the Iron Legions head, "There's only one path to peace: The Avengers' extinction."

Thor threw his hammer at Ultron destroying him. What was he? What has Tony created?

(A/N: expect some slow updates from me since I'm very busy in my day to day life and I need to think of moments between you and Loki. See you next chapter)