Chapter Seven: Getting Loki out of his shell

I was training with Loki again today. But he wasn't doing well. I'm still knocking him down without trying to hurt or break anything important. I just knocked him off his feet again and he's getting really annoyed.

"Stop favouring your right side," I said as he stood back up.

"I am not favouring it," Loki said.

"You are. And you're relying on it too much."

"You are stronger than me! That's why I'm losing!"

"And I'm finding your weaknesses while you focus on the fight. Try to find my weakness and use it against me. Maybe then you'll win."

We continued to fight. Eventually, Loki started to beat me. He found my weaknesses and used them against me. Eventually, he had me on the floor. He went to take my mask off but I stopped him. Not today. We stopped for the day. It's been months since Loki joined the Avengers and he really isn't that bad. Just misunderstood. I read more about him in a book of North Mythology and his life is interesting.

He's really a Frost Giant or a Jotun. He was taken in by Odin as a child because he was supposed to die since he was so small. And I learned from Thor that Loki learned he was adopted around the time he was banished to Earth because he declared war on Jotunheim. I suppose I know how he feels. Although some of the Myths about him are weird.

For example, Loki can shapeshift so he turned himself into a female Eight-legged horse to breed with Odin's horse of the same breed. I asked Loki about that and he says it's a lie. Yeah, I don't see Loki doing that anyway. Loki went back to his room to most likely read his life away. That's all he does nowadays. Read. I later found him in the kitchen cleaning up.

"What are you making?" I asked.

"A cake," Loki replied.

"What's the occasion?"

"It's my birthday today. December 17th."

Well, shit. Not even I knew that! So much for trying to get close to Loki. I can't even find out when his birthday is! I left to go buy something for him. I'm not letting him celebrate his birthday like this. I'm not exactly sure when mine is but if Loki knows, I'm gonna celebrate it with him. I went to the local pet shop and bought a black kitten with blue and green eyes. I always imagined Loki being a cat person and I think he's earned the responsibility of looking after a pet.

I got some things for it and returned to the tower. Loki was busy so I made last-minute preparations. I put a little green bow around its neck, not too tight, and put it in his room. From there, I waited. I want to make him happy. At least happier than he usually is. It took him a while but soon he found the kitten. He came into the living room with it, sat on the sofa and put it on his lap.

"Happy birthday, Loki," I said smiling. Not that he could see it.

"This is from you?" Loki asked as I nodded, "thank you."

"What will you name them?"

"I saw it's a boy so... Noir."

"I like it."

Loki and Noir grew close. And Loki became happier but not as happy as I had hoped. But it was nice to see him at least smile now. Even if it's for a minute. I had to convince the other Avengers to actually get Loki something for Christmas since it's not that far away. And Loki needs it. I think he was the one who did get most of this as a kid because he was living in Thor's shadow.

Thor has mentioned that Loki didn't want the throne but to be his equal. That's what makes me believe Loki has been in his brother's shadow all his life. Thor is the oldest, he's strong, he has a hammer to control the thunder and lightning while Loki is average I suppose and he's more of a sorcerer. He's still good at it, I'll give him that. When Christmas day did come around, Loki was in his room with Noir.

I was more concerned about when it came to having Christmas dinner. The only way I can eat is when my mask is off and I don't want anyone to see my face so this will be interesting. But first what's happening with Loki? I went to check on him and he was just reading and petting Noir.

"I'm not coming," Loki said.

"I didn't even say anything!" I said.

"You were going to ask why I haven't joined you all for this Christmas thing. I'm not coming."

"Well, I have a gift for you. But if you want it, you have to join us."

He sighed and joined us. He took Noir with him. We overall had a great time. I gave him his gift which was the only things I could think of giving him. I gave him a pocket watch with a galaxy cover, a wax seal kit and a few new books. He seemed happy with them anyway. Maybe not the wax kit but everything else, happy.

When Christmas dinner came around, we had fun with the Christmas crackers and Loki was extremely disappointed with the Christmas jokes. I can't blame him because they are awful. When we ate, I turned away and ate on another table. Loki looked like he was having a great time and the others were finally accepting him as an ally instead of an enemy.

That made me happy. Afterwards, he started to fit in much better, we started including him on missions and he opened up a little more. I might even be falling for him. I don't think he'd ever love me back, however. How can you love someone without knowing what their face looks like? You can't. It's nice to dream.