29- Dinner at Ma's

Lili POV

"Well don't be long, we have a guest, and weddings to plan" Ma's voice comes through the car speakers.

"Wedding, Ma not weddings" I say pointedly.

"Yeah, we'll see" she says in that 'i know better' Mother voice of hers. Before ending the call.

Fucking Nico!

If I hear the words double wedding one more time, I'll be planning Nico's funeral! I think as I put my cell away.

The shit eating grin on Nico's face as we drive towards Ma's isn't helping my mood at all.

"It's just dinner Lili, chill out" Nico chuckles, raising our laced fingers to their lips to plant a kiss on my hand. Easy for them to say, they haven't spent the past week planning a wedding with Ma.

"Sudden dinner invite, I wonder what the occasion is?" I wonder aloud.

"Maybe she's gonna tell you she's banging Leo" Nico shrugs.

"You're so gross, remind me why I like you again?" I ask Nico.

"My generous nature? My witty banter? My sparkling blue eyes? My long thick..."

"Nico!"

"Hair!" They chuckle, "what were you thinking of? Pervert"

My face burns in embarrassment, and It's hard to argue against this because in the last week I have taken every opportunity to get Nico between my thighs. Nobody would believe a week ago I was a virgin. It's like Nico awakened a need in me that I haven't been able to satisfy.

Even thinking about it now has me squeezing my thighs together, making Nico laugh harder.

We pull into Ma's drive, stopping the car beside a red Mercedes that I don't recognise.

"Looks like we have company" I say pointedly to Nico, leading the way up to the house. "Ma! We're here!" I shout from the entrance hall.

"They're out on the veranda Miss Canossa," a young girl emerging from the dining room explains.

"Ooh she got wait staff in? Who are we trying to impress?" I laugh to Nico, cutting through the living room to the doors that are open to the veranda.

"What the fuck is he doing here!" I growl at Ma the moment I reach the doors.

"You see my point, Mrs Canossa?" Benji says with a smug look that makes me want to smack him again.

"And what point would that be Ben?" Nico asks following me onto the veranda.

"Oh I see we bought our attack dog?" Benji snipes.

"From what I recall, I don't need Nico to attack you do I?" I spit back. "Why is he here Ma?"

Ma shares a look with Leo before letting out a sigh,

"Mr Chun here came to visit because he's worried that you have taken on a little too much and you're damaging business connections with your mood swings..." Ma explains looking uncomfortable.

"Ma, you can't be seriously listening to this?! He's only saying this because I didn't want to date him!" I cry, gripping Nico's arm.

I can feel the anger rolling off Nico but I appreciate that they aren't jumping in to defend me, that would just encourage the opinion that I can't do this on my own.

"Well as I was about to tell Mr Chun, I agree that we have lost a number of associations since you took over" Ma starts.

"Ma!" I object, but she waves her hand to silence me.

"As I was saying, we have lost a number of associations. And I think it's fair to assume we'll be ending our business with the Chun family now as well." It's Ma's turn to look smug now.

"I'm not entirely sure why you thought bad mouthing Liliana's abilities to Matteo or myself was a good idea, but given that she is the current head of the family business, if she thinks an association is worth saving she'd save it, if she decides it should be ended she has our full support. You seem to have been labouring under the misapprehension that Lili can be controlled in any way, I assure you as a Canossa woman. She can't be"

"You're making a mistake not taking my offer" Benji seethes.

"No. You have made the mistake. Canossa's don't respond to threats Mr Chun, our troubleshooter solves those problems for us. Don't you dear?" Ma asks turning to Nico.

"It'd be my pleasure" Nico practically growls from behind me.

"Leo, will you see Me Chun out? We have a wedding menu to sample" Ma says, her tone final.

Leo steps forward placing a hand on Benji's shoulder to steer him out just to have his hand thrown off.

"An hour I had to listen to him prattle on! Honestly you two took your sweet time getting here" Ma sighs watching the door Leo just left though.

"What did he want?" Nico asks before I get the chance.

"The same thing they all want. To 'help' our vastly successful multi billion dollar corporation... because it clearly needs help" Ma scoffs, rolling her eyes. "He used to be such a nice boy"

"I always thought he was a piece of shit" Nico grumbles.

"He was your friend!" Ma laughs, seeing Leo returning and getting to her feet. "Come, let's eat."

"Yeah well, I was a piece of shit" Nico mutters following Ma inside.

"Was?" I ask, giggling as Nico chases after me catching me by the waist.

"Ok put her down" Ma tells Nico, "we still need to talk about Benji"

"What's there to talk about? I don't need his help and we'll either end our contracts or just not renew them" I shrug, taking my seat.

"I think it's going to be more complicated than that Lili, he tried getting to the business by asking you out, then by causing issues between you and Matteo, then coming to me. I don't think we've heard the last of him" Ma sighs.

"How do you know he asked me out?" I ask surprised.

"Please, do you think anything happens without me knowing?" She replies evading the question. "This melon starter is nice isn't it?"