Chapter 31

Dandy and I were woken from our peaceful slumber by the sound of the telephone ringing.

"Why would anyone be calling at such an early hour?" He groaned.

"I'm not sure, but whoever it is can certainly wait a few more hours to share their news with us." I muttered, wanting to stay snuggled up in the warm bedsheets.

At first, Dandy agreed and embraced me once again, until he was suddenly hit with a realisation.

"I bet it's the detective, he must have discovered some information about Chester!"

He quickly untangled himself from my grasp and flung the sheets off of himself, causing me to whine at the loss of contact. He rushed towards the telephone that was still droning on without even giving me a second glance.

"Dandy Mott, speaking."

All I could hear from the other end of the line was a slight mumbling sound, but Dandy appeared to be very interested in the topic at hand.

"Is that so? How absurd! I knew that magician wasn't as innocent as he was first thought to be." He spat venomously.

There was a bit more mumbling from who I could only assume to be the police detective, followed by the occasional serious nod from Dandy.

"Do you have the doll? Perfect. Make sure that it is placed at the exact location that we agreed on." And with that Dandy ended the call, not even offering a polite farewell.

He turned towards me with a sparkling grin, to which I returned a slightly raised eyebrow.

"Get yourself ready, we're going to the freakshow!"

"Do we have to? Can't this master plan of yours wait a little while?" I complained.

"We mustn't waste any time, y/n, a lot is at stake here!" Dandy urged.

"No, you're just impatient. I'm sure the world won't end if we wait just a few more days."

"So you want to leave a murderer in charge of the place?" He smirked, knowing that this would catch me off-guard.

"Chester? A murderer? Dandy, you're not making any sense." I stuttered out in confusion.

"He killed his own wife! He cut her up and left her for dead!" He was pretending to be shocked and disgusted by what he was sharing with me, but I could tell that he was picturing the brutal scene in his mind with a feeling of great delight.

"Surely not. You're just framing him aren't you? You're going to him exactly what you did to Jimmy!" I raised my voice accusingly.

"I know that it's something that I have done in the past, but I now have no reason to. I could easily drive him away from the freakshow without even the slightest mention of his cold killings." He had an u deniable point, sending the poor man insane would probably only take Dandy five minutes. "It may be hard to believe that this fun-loving magician - who you have clearly taken a liking to - could be a gruesome murderer, but he had his reasons. When he returned from the war he wasn't the same man that he was when he left. His wife had been having an affair with a woman while he was away and they had fallen madly in love by the time the war was coming to an end. Once he returned Chester and his wife were completely unable to revive their relationship and she wanted to leave him for the other woman. The situation drove him crazy and concluded in him killing the both of them."

I sat in a stunned silence.

"Not as kind-hearted as you first thought now, is he?"

"You're no better." I retorted. "You kill for pleasure!"

"But you see, y/n, I have a purpose. And besides, when I buy the freakshow they'll all have you to look after them. You couldn't even kill a fly." He teased.

I deliberated on his words for a moment. It would be nice to be with my family again. Maybe I could even go back to announcing the acts.

"I suppose you're right." I eventually decided.

"Perfect! We must get ready right away." He clapped his hands together, pleased that I had finally come around.

He lightly shoved me towards my closet so that I could pick out an outfit, before hurrying off to his own room to get ready.

I had chosen a simple, red dress that stopped just below the knee, along with some black heels and a black belt. Dandy, however, was certainly dressing up to be the centre of attention. He was wearing a white shirt and grey pants, paired with a flashy tie and a long fur coat.

"You look..." I started uncertainly.

"Show-stopping." He finished smugly.

Chester looked visibly nervous when he noticed us driving down the pathway towards the tent.

"Make sure you stay out of sight and stay close." Dandy whispered in my ear before getting out of the car and sauntering towards the man who was already shuffling uncomfortably from one foot to the other.

I made sure to do as he said and hid behind a trailer around ten metres away from the two men, checking that there was nobody around me.

I was straining to hear the conversation, only managing to pick up a few words occasionally, when I was met with the sound of footsteps steadily approaching. I slowly looked up to the side of me, taking in Eve's full appearance.

"y/n? What are you doing here?" She quizzed.

"I, well... uh." I was completely stuck, unable to create a lie that would be even slightly believable.

"Marjorie!" Both of us turned our heads to see Chester running off towards the woods.

"Come along, y/n! We have some important business to attend to.

Eve looked even more confused as I dusted myself off before following the man's command, only giving her a shrug in response to all the questions that were undoubtedly buzzing through her head.

*TIME SKIP*

Dandy hopped back into the car after his brief meeting with Elsa with a spring in his step and a cocky smirk plastered across his face.

"The freakshow now officially belongs to me."