Chapter 13

It had been several days since the kiss and neither of us had spoken as word about it. I kept attempting to bring it up, but the right moment to do so never came.

*FLASHBACK*

The kiss had stunned me into silence. All I could do was stare at Dandy as he waited for some sort of reaction to come out of me. I gave him nothing, having no clue about what I should say to him. Did I enjoy the kiss? I wasn't completely certain as to whether the answer to that question was yes or no. Dandy took my silence as disapproval and angrily slammed his foot on the gas.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Life at the Motts' mansion had been extremely awkward since that day. It seemed as if Dandy had been avoiding me. I couldn't tell if it was due to anger, embarrassment or a mixture of both.

I spent most days moping around in my bedroom. Dandy hadn't invited me to his playroom so I had been left to my own devices.

I had discovered a new love for books. The Motts had their own library filled with a variety of different stories. There wasn't much to fill my time with, so my days were filled with reading novel after novel.

Meals with Gloria and Dandy had become quite tense. Gloria always made attempts to start some kind of conversation, but no positive results occurred. Dandy was stubborn, that was for sure. His only answers to his mother's pestering questions were simple eye rolls.

This tension was quickly becoming tiresome. I knew that I had to take matters into my own hands.

I headed over to Dandy's playroom, stopping abruptly at the door. Everything was quiet, apart from a slight sniffling that could be heard coming from the other side of the door. I inhaled shakily, before knocking timidly on the polished wood.

"Go away!" A bratty yell between sniffles came from Dandy.

There was no lock in the door, so I decided to deny his request and barged in anyway. This earned a groan from the dramatic man.

I spotted him stretched across his couch with a tear-stained face as I strode into the room. The look of pain on his face made me immediately feel guilty. He tried to hide his saddened expression from me, but he was too late.

"Dandy ... what's wrong?" I treaded over to him carefully, still staying a safe distance away in case he burst into one of his regular fits of rage.

Dandy looked up at me, his eyes still shining with tears. "Why didn't you kiss me back? You didn't even say anything afterwards. Was it that bad? Do you really hate me that much?"

"Of course I don't hate you, Dandy! I don't think I'm capable of hating you." I replied honestly.

"Then why didn't you kiss me back?" His voice was beginning to get louder now, as he was becoming exasperated.

"I panicked! You just kissed me out of nowhere and I wasn't expecting it. I didn't have a clue what to say! It's not that I didn't like the kiss, you just took me by surprise."

"So you enjoyed the kiss?" His lips curved into a slight smile as he looked at me, waiting for my response.

"Yes, Dandy, I enjoyed the kiss. It just left me with so many questions. We haven't ever spoken much about where our relationship stands."

"Well ... we went on a date. Doesn't that make us a couple? And people are supposed to kiss when they're on a date, right?" Dandy smirked.

"I suppose you're right. It's just ... you're so confusing Dandy! I can never tell what you're thinking. Your constant mood swings are too difficult to keep up with."

The smile that was originally displayed across his face slipped away. He hung his head.

"That's not me saying I don't want to be with you. You just need to learn to communicate with me a little better."

I placed my hands on his cheeks and lifted his face, allowing his eyes to meet again with mine. The smile re-appeared on his face as I leaned in, softly kissing his lips.

The moment was disrupted by the sound of Gloria calling us from downstairs.

"Dandy! y/n! It's time for dinner!"

As we headed down the winding staircase, Dandy slipped my hand into the hold of his own. His grip was strong, but not in an aggressive type of way. He didn't even look at me as he did it, perhaps hoping that if he didn't acknowledge it I somehow wouldn't either. I decided not to point it out, just feeling relieved that all the tension from the previous few days had been resolved.

As I entered the dining room, it immediately became obvious that Gloria felt the same relief that I was feeling.

Dora was clearly not reciprocating the same joyous emotions that everyone else in the room was expressing. These last few days I had been heavily dependent on the kind-hearted maid. She believed that I should have just left while Dandy had seemingly let his guard down. I quickly refused the idea. My life had changed drastically in the brief time that I had known the Motts and I wasn't so sure that I would be able to go back to the way things used to be. Even if I could, I didn't know for certain that Dandy had really given up with his possessiveness.

Glancing back at Dora now, she looked like she was ready to give up. All she wanted was what would be best for me, but I couldn't leave Dandy. He seemed to notice her negative attitude and harshly glared at Dora. She glared right back, unfazed by the anger he was feeling towards her.

For once, dinner was a pleasant experience. We talked casually for a while, until Gloria cleared her throat in order to make an announcement.

"As I'm sure you're both aware, halloween is tomorrow! Halloween has always been a very special occasion in this house, isn't that right Dandy?" He nodded excitedly. "It's finally time to show you your costume!"

Dandy leapt up out of his seat, not even wanting to finish dessert. Gloria placed a box on the dining table and stepped back with a warm smile.

Dandy tore the box open and threw the tissue paper out of the way frantically. A look of confusion appeared on his face as he peered down at his new costume.

"Howdy Doody?" He looked up at his mother, who now looked a ghostly pale as she stood frozen in fear.

"HOWDY DOODY?" He repeated.

After that, all hell broke loose. Gloria cowered back in terror. I tried my hardest to calm Dandy down, but it was no use. He started smashing and throwing things around him, yelling at the top of his lungs. I scurried into the corner of the room. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes and I was shaking uncontrollably.

When he finally ran out of things to smash, Dandy stormed past me and headed up to his room, slamming the door as he went.

I stayed glued to my place, until I finally felt as though I could breath again.