Chapter 1

A: Hello! Thanks for clicking on this story! Just a short disclaimer: I do not own anything Newsies. India is my OC. Some events in this will be based on actual events and Newsies (of course) but besides that, I own the rest. Please forgive me if I get things wrong with the tour and audition process and with how they were all cast. It just works better with the fiction part of this. I don't own any dialogue from the show, either. I will say this one time only; DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. If you do, I will report you and the story.
Thanks again and enjoy!

"I'm going for coffee after class, Mom! You want anything when I come back?" I yelled. It was Monday, so that meant dance class. And going out to dance class meant coffee afterward. Thankfully, since I graduated a little while ago, due to being homeschooled (which is amazing) I was free to do whatever I wanted.

Within my parents' permission, that is.

I had been taking dance since I was only two. Then, when I turned seven, after being taken to a Broadway show, I knew that was what I wanted to do. Not too shortly after that, my parents enrolled me into acting classes, per my pleading and begging. I had already been singing for as long as I could talk. Now, almost ten years later, I was auditioning for musicals and I already had an agent. I hadn't gotten any roles so far, but I knew that one was coming.

"No thanks, honey, just head on!"

"Okay! Bye! Love you!" I grabbed my bag from by the door, snatched my keys, and left for my car. I turned up the music as I rolled off, singing along with the Newsies. I loved the Broadway musical, but I had seen the movie first. Therefore, it was the version of Newsies I held closest to my heart.

The city of Richland, Virginia was booming. I loved where I lived. If I ever did gain a part in something, it would hurt having to leave. But, I would always find a way to come back.

I pulled into my dance academy and nearly ran inside. I was almost late. Madame did not have any tolerance for tardiness. I shed my athletic pants and tank top, already having my leotard and tights on under it. I threw my clothes in the bag and saw my tap shoes beside my pointe shoes. A reminder that I had tap and jazz after ballet, then contemporary Wednesday. I ran into the room, all of the other girls present.

"Hey, Indi!" my friend, Caleigh, waved.

"Ah, Miss Logans," Madame called.

I cringed. I should have known. "Yes, Madame?"

"You are late. Again."

"Madame, I'm sorry. Traffic was thick--"

"I do not want to hear excuses. Now, don't let it happen again."

"Yes, ma'am." I bowed my head.

"All right, positions, and stretch! After, we have news."

We all got into our positions and started stretching. "I wonder what the news is," said Caleigh.

"Maybe it's an open call to some show," I joked.

Carleigh sighed dreamily. "I hope,"

After stretching, Madame made us sit. "All right ladies, I know some of you are in multiple classes. If you are in jazz, tap, contemporary, or all of the above, please stand."

I stood up, along with eight other girls in the class. I looked at Caleigh who was sitting, anxious. I wondered why we were standing.

"Now, please help me give a warm welcome to choreographer for the Broadway musical, Newsies, Christopher Gattelli!"

My jaw dropped as I clapped. He walked in and waved to us all.

"Hello! As you know, I am Christopher Gattelli. I have choreographed many shows, including Newsies. The reason why I am here today is that Newsies is going on tour, nationally. And we need dancers. I know this is a very unusual way to get part of our cast, but, this is one of the best dance academies in the nation. One lucky lady from all around the country is going to gain a role in Newsies! So, for those of you who take multiple classes, I will give you around fifteen minutes to warm up and come up with something to impress me. Go full out! Make it upbeat and energetic. Heck, you can even use some of the choreography from Newsies if you have seen it. You'll have eight minutes.