CHAPTER TWENTY: "'i love you,' ain't that the worst thing you ever heard?"

♬ 'Cause we're living in a world of foolsBreaking us down when they all should let us beWe belong to you and me ♬

Breaking us down when they all should let us be
We belong to you and me ♬

- "How Deep Is Your Love" Bee Gees

30th of August 1978Kims' Chateau, Before The Student's Night

30th of August 1978
Kims' Chateau, Before The Student's Night

Kim Taehyung was petrified as his eyes were fixed on the pieces of paper placed above the table in his father's office. He assumed they were photo papers of him and Jeongguk during that time when they were at the camp. There was nothing wrong with them but the fact his father seemed angry as he might've learned something about them made him stand in front of him in fear.

"I summoned you because I heard..." Mr. Kim, Matthew stated as he held his hands together. "There were rumours about you being gay and you're in a relationship with Mr. Jeon's son. Is it true?" Matthew asked, picking one of the pictures. His eyebrows were pulled down, sloping inwards, an expression that Taehyung was very familiar with.

He slowly took one of them and held them near his face. He scanned the pictures and he indeed saw those particular moments he was with Jeongguk. Another one was when he was carrying Jeongguk, bridal style, to their tent. He wasn't aware someone was taking photos of them. "Father, let me explain first—"

"So, it's true then? Kim Taehyung, you are not denying it? Don't you know being gay is being sick in the head? I told you that for how many times already yet you never listened! Your mother will be very disappointed with you," Matthew said, he almost knocked the table over as he placed his clenched hand atop it. "You know what to do, Taehyung. You don't want me getting mad."

"What do you mean? And since when loving became a sickness?" Taehyung asked this time, he was finally able to talk back. All of his life, he followed his father's orders. He tried to be the person his father wanted him to be. He quit the things he loved doing just because of him. Now, his father wants him to stop loving a person that made him feel he was perfect despite his flaws?

Matthew chuckled as he stood and strolled towards Taehyung's direction. He examined his son as he crossed his arms against his chest. "Since when did you learn to talk back? Is this what you got from..." He stopped midway his sentence as he felt disgusted saying the word. "...loving that boy, you said?"