Chapter 1: Finding Out About The Bionic Academy

I was walking home from another horrible day at school. I pulled the hoodie of my jacket over my head, since rain was pouring down. I watched the rain pitter patter on the sidewalk. The trees around me were shaking with the wind. i took a deep breath and icy breath came out of my mouth. I shook my head thinking about my icy breath. 

i soon reached my house and walked up the stairs to the front door. i opened the door and walked to the kitchen to find my older brother Noah sitting at the kitchen table doing something on his laptop. He looked up at me then back at his laptop screen. I rolled my eyes. Noah and I don't get along to well. It's the same thing with my older sister Sabrina and I. i put my backpack on the kitchen counter, grabbed an apple from the bowl on the counter, and walked to the living room. I found Sabrina sitting on one of the red circular couches. She was on her phone. Like she always was. I sat on the opposite couch from her, grabbed the remote, and turned on the TV. I also took a bite of my apple. 

I wasn't really paying attention to what was on, because i was too busy thinking about the events from the last couple of months. Some stuff happened and I don't know what. I remember to a point but everything after is a blank slate. I shook my head. If I don't remember than it probably wasn't important. i put my arm on the arm rest and put my head in my hand. I glanced at Sabrina. She was talking on the phone to one of her friends about some boy she thinks is going to ask her to the school dance. I looked back at the TV. 

Suddenly, my father walked in. looking excited. He jumped on the couch, and sat next to me. He took the  remote out of my hand and changed the channel to a news channel my father loved to watch. "You two watch this. This is the best thing ever!" father said. i turned to the television screen to see the brilliant scientist/inventor Donald Davenport in a press conference. I have some of his products. My father turned up the volume, sat back, and started giggling like a 13 year old girl. I sent him a look and he stopped. I turned my attention back to the screen. Apparently I missed some parts of the press conference. 

"These kids have proven they can save lives and change the world. And we already know what Adam, Bree, and Chase can dow with their bionics," Mr. Davenport said, gesturing to the three teenagers behind him. I remembered reading an article on those people. They were the world's first ever bionic humans. "With proper training and supervision, these kids could go on multiple missions, save thousands of lives. And the president is already on board with this project." He announced. A reporter in the audience raised their hand. Mr. Davenport pointed at them. "Mr. Davenport. This all seems great, but how are you supposed to train hundreds of kids?" the reporter asked. "I'm not. We are," he answered, gesturing to the teenagers and himself. "Since, they are the first of their kind, they'll be the kid's mentors. Adam, Bree, and Chase will train them, socialize them, and introduce them to the world. Just like their step-brother Leo did with them". "Only we'll do a good job!" Adam exclaimed. Mr. Davenport gave Adam a look. "Come on. He found us 5 friends in two years," Bree told him and the world. Mr. Davenport nodded, agreeing to what the teenagers were saying. Another reporter raised their hand. Mr. Davenport pointed at them. "So, where is all this training going to take place?" the reporter asked. "At the world's first ever Davenport Bionic Academy!" Mr. Davenport. A 16 year old kid walked onto the stage. I think he was Leo. Well, anyway. Leo put his elbow on Mr. Davenport's shoulder. "I think you mean Davenport and Son Bionic Academy." Leo said, trying to "correct" him. Mr. Davenport laughed, saying he thought Leo still had "a touch of grandpa brain." The audience laughed. On the screen behind Mr. Davenport, a picture of an island popped up. "Behold. The world's first ever, Bionic Academy!" Mr. Davenport said, stepping aside so the audience could get a better look. It looked amazing, I thought. 

"Now this is a manmade island. Here's the main combat training area, and the dormitory, and the hydro-loop." Mr. Davenport explained, showing pictures of each of the sections. Another reporter raised their hand. Mr. Davenport nodded at him, signalling him to ask his question. "What's a hydro-loop?" Chase laughed. "This guy! 'What's a hydro-loop?'" Adam faked laughed. "Yeah, this guy! Pfffttttt!" He then leaned closer to Mr. Davenport. "What's a hydro-loop?" "It's an ultra-modern high-speed transport system. it works like a nomadic tube. You hop in one side, and it spits you out on the mainland in minutes" Mr. Davenport explained. "Now any more questions?" he asked. He looked around the room. No one raised their hands. "Okay, got it. Now this message goes out to any bionic soldiers out there watching. The academy opens on Monday. So you have a few more days to just hang out in the real world. Thank you, for your time." 

Sabrina grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. "Dad. That's great and all. But how does that affect us?" Sabrina asked. Seriously. She forgot something this important, I thought to myself. My father sent Sabrina a look. Sabrina looked confused for a moment and then realizedit. "Oh, right. This affects the freak," Sabrina said, pointing at me. I looked down at my grey and pink shoes. That hurt. Ever since my "family" and i found out i was a bionic, Sabrina decided to keep calling me freak. Or a monster. I shook my head. "Anyway," father said, getting my attention. But I was still staring at my sneakers. "Danielle. You'll be attending the academy." My eyes shot up. I didn't want to some fancy bionic kids! I didn't even want to go to regular school. "YES! The freak will be gone!" Sabrina said. I frowned. I know 'sister' and I don't get along, but does she have to act like I'm some sort of alien/robot/mutant freak. I shook my head. "So, Danielle you should probably start packing. Monday is only 4 days away." Father said. I sat there for a few minutes, letting what my father said sink in. I stood up, threw my apple core in the garbage can in the kitchen, grabbed my backpack, and walked up the stairs to my bedroom.