Chapter 5- Pies and Plays

"Bye Finn!" Anna said, before running over to our house and away from where I was standing outside Colton's car.

I felt like calling her back and telling her to do the project for me with him, but decided that that would show Colton that I actually cared, so I reluctantly watched her go inside.

"You ready?" Colton asked, slinging his backpack over his shoulder.

"Yup" I said, putting on a smile.

On the inside I was literally dying of anxiety.

He walked inside and I followed, dragging my feet.

Why? Of all the names? Seriously, I was literally questioning the heavens right now how that could've happened. It was a one in thirty chance!

"Mom! I'm home!" Colton shouted once we were inside.

Carol, Colton's mom, hurried out of the kitchen

"I was just baking some pie! How- Oh Finnly! Dear, I haven't seen you in forever!" She said, wiping her hands on her apron before bringing me into a tight hug.

I smiled and hugged her back , it was like I got a piece of my old life back ; Carol had always seemed like a second mom to me. She was even around more often than my mom was and in some ways, I had been closer with Carol than my mother.

"I missed you, Carol" I said, meaning every word.

She brought me out to arm's length and examined me, "Look at how tall you've grown! And you're hair! It's beautiful! When did it get so long? And w-"

"Mom" Colton said, "Can you do your meet and greet later? We have to do a project" he said, leaning against the wall lazily.

"Oh please Col, it's not like you care about doing your homework any other day" she said, laughter in her voice.

I laughed a little, he could deal with it, Carol was one of the few people in this town I was actually happy to see again.

Colton just rolled his eyes, "Mom, please?" he said.

Carol mimicked Colton by rolling her eyes, and turned back to me, "I'll talk to you later, sweetheart, ok?" She said, smiling, "I guess if my son actually wants to get started on homework, we shouldn't stand in his way, he'd probably run us over like he does in those football games" she said, winking.

I hadn't actually seen Colton play football, other than the few times I had waited for him for a ride home and seen him doing some drills. But this Friday was the first game of the season, and Mia had begged me to come with her so she could hang out with her boyfriend and not look like a complete loser. Yay. So excited...

I laughed, "Yeah, he probably wouldn't hesitate either" I added. I actually caught myself off guard by my statement. Yes- I can be sassy.

Colton beside me stiffened in surprise.

Yeah. I just did.

Carol laughed and ushered us toward the kitchen, handing me a piece of pie.

"Now make sure to actually get some work done" she said, "And keep the bedroom door open" she continued, before hurrying back over to the oven where the pie sat.

I wanted to reassure her that nothing was going on between us expect awkward tension, but decided to keep my mouth shut.

I didn't think she needed to worry about anything happening in the bedroom. At this rate Colton and I probably wouldn't sit within five feet of one another.