Chapter 15- The Secret

The weekend came and went, filled with sporadic crying episodes. Saturday Kim had decided we should have another family bonding experience, so that's what we did. My dad hadn't been home much since the beach trip we all took at the beginning of the year; his job had been keeping him busy, but he made it a priority to take off work for the bonding time.

Over the weekend Anna and I found out they were planning the wedding for some time in May, and yeah it was early, but they wanted to get it in before I went to college.

My dad had also taken me aside and talked to me about the Thanksgiving trip coming up in a matter of weeks. Apparently he had noticed my sulky behavior and told me that although my transition was tough, I really had to at least try to have a good time on the trip. He also decided to bring up my mom and tell me that I should call her more often despite the fact she practically dumped me in her ex-husband's house to go to Paris.

But right now, more than anything, I was solely focused on how I would face Colton and Becca when I saw them in Mr.Fells' class. Homecoming had been a complete disaster - in more ways than one. Becca had crossed the line and I really couldn't handle it any longer.

And although I say it almost every day- I was actually going to talk to Colton.

Because this shit has got to stop.

"Ok Finnly, now just remember what we talked about! Don't show Becca any sign of weakness" Anna said, as we walked down the hall toward our first period class.

I nodded, "Yeah, I know I know, and I have Evan to talk to so it'll be fine. Seriously, don't worry about it" I said.

I was pretty sure I was reassuring myself more than I was trying to reassure Anna.

Anna smiled, "Say 'Hi' to Evan for me will ya?" she asked, before making a dash up the stairs as the first bell rang.

A small smile spread across my face. What If Anna actually liked Evan?

I walked into Mr. Fells classroom and sat down in my normal spot. Shortly after, Evan sat down in Mia's old seat.

"Not that I really mind sitting next to you, but it was kind of rude for Mia just to take my seat" Evan mumbled, setting his backpack down on the floor.

I frowned, "hey, I'm sorry I brought this upon you" I said, "I mean I know she was a little rude to you before homecoming, but now she'll be even worse" I sighed.

Evan shrugged, "Mia was never nice to me. Honestly, I don't even know why I liked her as much as I did" he said.

"Sometimes you can't help who you like...it just happens" I said reassuringly.

"Was that supposed to refer to Mia or Colton?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I laughed, "Both I guess" I said.

I suppose we both had a problem with liking people who weren't the slightest bit interested in us.

I looked over toward Mia, completely surprised when I saw her talking with the other kids around her. I guess being in a relationship with Kyle did more to open her up than I had previously thought.

Evan followed my gaze and rolled his eyes , "I'm just glad I have friends like you and Anna, you have no idea what you guys actually did for me by becoming my friends" he said, turning back to face me.

I smiled, "You're a pretty good friend too" I said.

And without you and Anna, I'd probably be completely lost.

"Bolton alert" Evan said in a hushed whisper.

Bolton?

I looked up at the doorway as Becca and Colton entered the classroom.