Chapter 11- Modern Romeo

"Are you planning on going?"

I looked up from the play script I was memorizing.

"Planning on going to what?" I asked Mia, attempting to keep the irritation out of my voice.

I needed to get this stuff done. I had approximately 6 minutes before the bell would ring and presentations for our Romeo and Juliet skits would begin. And I needed every second to memorize Juliet's lines- something that I had procrastinated on doing the whole weekend.

"Homecoming of course" Mia said.

It surprised me Mia cared about the dance. She had never been this involved in social events.

"Uh, I don't know. I haven't really thought about it" I said, turning my attention back to the skit.

"You should totally come! Kyle asked me this morning!"

"I think I'd rather stay home" I said honestly.

The last dance I went to with these people had been the biggest lie in my life, so I really didn't need to repeat that again.

Mia groaned and slumped down in her seat, "C'mon! I know you don't have anyone to go with but it would still be fun to get out and do things" she said.

She sounded exactly like my mom when I first moved to New York.

"It's not that I don't have anyone to go with" I said, slightly annoyed.

It honestly kind of bothered me she had to bring up something like that. Like Yay you, you have a boyfriend. Aw poor me because I don't.

"Then what is it?" Mia huffed.

I noticed the irritation creeping into her voice and I looked up to face her, "I don't like school dances, Mia. I thought maybe you would understand that" I said.

Mia looked down at her desk before responding, "Yeah but the 8th grade dance wasn't bad. You liked it!" she said.

I raised an eyebrow at her , "And then days later I found out my brother died and I'd be moving away from my friends that didn't even care enough to contact me" I said.

It was like the last loop on a roller coaster. It was great when it happened, but then you have all the nasty stuff that comes after.

"It's not like history is going to repeat itself" Mia said calmly.

"I know I know" I said, throwing my hands up in exasperation, "And I feel like I need to get over what happened then because it was three years ago, and honestly, I've been trying! But no matter how hard I try, I can't!"

"I know you Finnly, and you wouldn't be holding onto the past If you didn't care about the things that changed. You say you don't care about Becca and how she's been taunting you and you say you don't care that Colton has moved on, but I'm pretty positive you do care." She said, "And the only way to let go of the past is to move forward" she said.

I nodded fiddling with the bracelets on my wrist, "Yeah" I mumbled.

I knew she was right. When she wasn't talking about Kyle she was the smartest and most insightful person I knew.

"Just ask Colton what happened" she continued

I nodded, "Yeah I've been meaning to do that" I said

Mia smiled, "Good, once you get his side of what happened, maybe it'll be easier to come at peace with the past" she said.

I just nodded, "Yeah that would be nice" I said.

The bell rang, cutting our conversation short, and Mr.Fells walked into the room, shutting the door behind him.