Bonus Chapter

Chapter 2 in Colton's POV

My alarm clock greeted me with the first few verses of Fall Out Boy before I slammed my hand down on top of it, grumbling profanities.

It was the first day of school, and the beginning of the last year to my high school career.

And as I lay in my bed, staring up at the ceiling, I realized exactly how much I was dreading yet another year of prison.

I was the high school quarterback, and I had an amazing girl friend. I wasn't complaining about my life at all, but every since I had heard of Finnly coming back to town yesterday, I couldn't help but believe that this year was going to be a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be.

"Colton, get your lazy ass out of bed! You need to pick up Becca on your way to school!"

I groaned into my pillow, refusing to remove my body from the warm sheets.

I loved Becca, but did I always want to be in charge of driving her around everywhere? No. She was perfectly capable of driving herself places; I didn't see the need for me to play chauffeur and spend all my money on gas.

"Colton, I'm serious" my mother said, throwing open my door, "If you're late on your first day of school, I will feel no pity for you when you get detention. Now get up" she said, yanking the covers away from me.

I sent a glare toward her but got up nonetheless, sliding a shirt on over my head.

She nodded her head in satisfaction and left the room without a word, flipping on the light to my room on her way out.

As much as I despised her for these early morning stunts she pulled during the school year, my mother was the most important person in my life. With my dad always gone in the military, my mother and I had to stick together. There was no way either of us would function properly without the other.

I finished getting dressed and dragged myself over to my window- the one adjacent to Finnly's.
I drew back the plaid curtains and glanced over at her window before closing them quickly.

I didn't want to let myself think about her or what 'could've been'.
She hurt me when she left, without a single word. One day she was there and then the next she wasn't.

Obviously if she didn't care enough about me back then then she doesn't now. Which means I shouldn't either.

I grabbed my backpack and swung it over my shoulder, swiftly jogging down the stairs.

"Bye Mom" I said, grabbing a protein smoothie and a donut, before heading to my car.

If I was late picking up Becca I'd hear about it for the next month.

I turned the key in the ignition and the engine let out a strangled putting noise, to which I let out a small grunt and set my eyes into a rolling motion.
It was a fairly new car, but the engine had been acting up lately; I swore I'd get it check out after school today.

After some difficulty and a couple punches to the steering wheel, I was on my way to pick up Becca.

I rolled down the street and past the high school toward Becca's house, passing a blonde haired girl walking across a cross walk.