Chapter 10 - Tongue Action

I groaned as I tried finding something to wear. Something not to casual but not too formal. I didn't want him thinking I was actually serious about this date. 

I tugged some summer dresses off of hangers and found a simple one, one perfect for the group date.

No, it wasn't with Colton.

When I told Anna I was going on a group date she immediately fist pumped the air and started singing about "Folton".

Let's just say she was sourly disappointed when she found out my date would be Evan.

Mia was going to go on her official first date with Kyle this weekend, to the movies or something like that. Apparently she wanted Evan and I to casually show up to the same movie so she wouldn't be alone. As much as having a boyfriend had opened her up, she was still the introverted internet fanatic that she had been 3 years ago. Evan, of course, agreed. Although he obviously had some hatred toward Kyle, he still cared about Mia and wanted to support her. To be honest, I also thought he believed he still had some chance to be with her, and hey, if things didn't work out between her and Kyle, he would be right there for Mia. With Eva having agreed, I couldn't turn down Mia.

I wasn't sure what I should be feeling right now. Should I feel hurt because Mia used me to make herself feel more comfortable at her first date? Or should I be happy to help her because she's one of the two real friends I actually have?

I slid the dress on and put my hair into a ponytail, finishing off the look with a pair of flats. I took a quick glance toward my window, which had the curtains open to let in some natural light.

I couldn't see anything besides the brick of Colton's house and his window, which by the way, had its' curtains drawn.Ever since Anna had told him about our families' trip to the lake house over Thanksgiving, he had kept them closed. I suppose he didn't want to face the reality that yes- we would actually have to spend a whole weekend together.

Friday, when we had our Romeo and Juliet play practice, I had been surprised that he hadn't even bothered in bringing it up. I had sort of been relying on him asking me about it so I could then, in turn ask him about what happened when I left. I had the whole thing planned out, but it had been flawed because the whole thing had rested on Colton.

"Finn! Your friend Evan is here!" Kim called up the stairs.

I stole one last glance at Colton's closed window before turning off my lights and hurrying down the stairs. Evan waited outside the door, talking to Kim. He smiled when I came down and looked toward me , "Hi Finnly" he said.

I smiled back at him reassuringly, "Hi Evan" I said. I still couldn't believe Mia had made this poor kid go to her date.

"Now Finnly, make sure you're home before dinner! We're all going out tonight" Kim said.

I nodded, "Yeah, sure thing, Kim" I said.

Kim smiled, "And don't worry about Mia, she'll come around" she said to Evan, before making her way back to the kitchen.

"You told her?" I asked Evan, as we exited the front door and made our way to his car.

Evan shrugged, "Yeah, her first question was if we were dating or not, so I just told her the whole ordeal" he said honestly.

I just nodded; there wasn't much else to say.

~*~*~*~

"Finnly! Evan! It's so nice to see you here!"

I glanced briefly over at Evan, who was staring at the ground, before responding to Mia, "Yeah, Evan and I thought it would be fun to see a movie today" I said nonchalantly.