Chapter one: Destiny sets its course.

Eighteen years ago my parents had taken the sacrifice of having kids. My father wanted kids but my mom thought it would be really risky. He did promise her that he would protect us at all costs from the games and here we are the day of the reaping of the 99th hunger games. I guess my father is doing a good job on his promise because neither I nor my brother (Finnick Mellark) has gotten reaped yet. I am walking with my brother again to get checked in and I see a boy with blonde hair and bright green eyes ahead of us. That boy is Adrien Paix. I have had a crush on him for some time now and his sister is going into the reaping for the second time. We head up and get checked in. I look for my parents and brother. My brother is up by the front. He looks back and finds me looking at him. He was about to mouth something to me when a sound comes across the speakers. It was the famous Effie trinket doing her usual hit of the microphone.

Diana's reaping outfit

Adrien's reaping outfit

"Welcome to the reaping of the 99th hunger games. This year I thought I would do something different and read the names of the tributes together. Here it goes," Effie says. She walks to the girl's bowl as usual and then to the boys. She uses her middle finger to lift the tape off of the girl's name and her pointer finger to open the boys.

"Adrien Paix and Eva Paix. Siblings, wonderful," Effie says. Adrien walks out of the crowd and into the middle section and his sister runs over to him. I can't bear to see them go through this. Eva shouldn't be going into the games. I then get an idea in my head and run into the middle.

"I volunteer as tribute," I yell.

Everyone looks at me. Eva walks up to me and asks why but I don't have time to answer because two peacekeepers walk up and drag her into the girl crowd. I walk up to the stage and meet Effie at the top of the stairs. Effie and I walk over to the microphone.

"What is your name, young lady?" Effie asks me.

"Diana Mellark daughter of the victors of the 74th hunger games and the Mockingjay," I say not sure if I said that right.