Chapter 3: The Train

We are on the train and Effie showed us where we were sleeping. She tells us to get in the shower and clean up and to meet her in the dining car in two hours. I look in the drawers to see if there was anything I could wear that I would like but all they had was long pants and baggy silk shirts. I go out to the dining car and find Effie sitting on a nice lounge chair drinking wine. 

"Hey, Effie where can I find scissors?" I ask her. 

"Ask an Avox they will get you a pair. Don't be trying to kill yourself though," Effie says with a smile. 

"What is an Avox?" I ask. 

"They are people who tend to your every need, like this. Can I get an Avox in here please," Effie says through a microphone on the wall. A woman wearing crazy makeup and a white dress walks in. 

"Can you get this young girl a pair of scissors," Effie asks the woman. She nods her head and walks away. 

"Why didn't she say anything?" I ask her like a dumb child with millions of questions. 

"Because they cut her tongue out as a punishment of doing something like treason," Effie says. 

"Oh," I say not sure what to say after. We stand there in silence till the Avox comes back with a pair of scissors. 

"Thank you," I say as I walk out of the room. I head back to my room and start cutting at the baggy shirts. I turned all the shirts into crop tops. I put on a yellow shirt and my reaping skirt. I don't care for the pants but I can deal with it till we get to the capital. I look around at the other things in the room. Effie comes to my door and tells me it's time for dinner. I walk into the dining car and there is a great amount of food on the table. I fill my plate with ham and mash potatoes. Adrien walks in and stares at me in my crop top. 

Diana's after reaping outfit

"What are you looking at?" I ask. 

"Your abbs," Adrien says immediately covering his mouth. 

"Oh, these," I say standing up and facing Adrien who was still standing about five feet away from me. "I am working on getting an eight pack," I say with a smile. 

"Where did you get that crop top, Miss Mellark?" Effie asks with concern. 

"I made them when you had the avox get me some scissors," I say with a smile. 

"You destroyed your shirt!" Effie yells with astonishment. 

"Actually it was all my shirts," I say with a smirk. You can hear Adrien laughing from behind me.

"How rude. Come and eat both of you. We must decide what you will do to prepare for the games," Effie says. 

The two of us come and sit in our chairs and Effie stares at us and I feel myself slowly dying inside because of he glare. 

"What are the two of you good at?" Effie asks. 

I grab the knives off the table and throw them at the wall across from me. 

"Impressive miss Mellark. Can you also use a bow too?" Effie asks me. 

"Yes, I am also great with a sword," I say. I start eating my food to make me shut up. 

"What can you do Mr. Paix?" Effie asks Adrien.

"Well, I can't do much but I am strong," Adrien says. As he was saying this I was drinking my glass of water. I choke on my water and Adrien helps me stop coughing. 

"Excuse me but I have seen you use an ax and you are great with it," I say. My voice rising. 

"How would you possibly know that! Do you go to the hob too?" He asks me. 

"I do, everyday, but I don't know your skill from there," I say. I have said too much. He already knows my voice from that one day in the woods. Now am I going to reveal it was me? I stand up and walk out. I head to the back of the train and sit in one of the seats looking at the world outside the train. I use the microphone and ask for a notebook and pencil. When I get the notebook and pencil I begin to draw what I see. I watch as the sun sets and a little after nine Effie comes rushing in with panic on her face. 

"Good, I found you," Effie says. 

"Is there a problem I could help with?" I ask. 

"No, I was scared when I went to check on you in your room and you weren't there," I have been looking for you everywhere. We have to rewatch the reaping together," Effie says. 

We walk out of the room and head for the TV room. I put my notebook on the table showing my drawing. We begin to watch and Adrien looks down at the table and sees it. 

"This is amazing. How did you do this?" Adrien asks me. 

"It's nothing really, I do it when I want to take my mind off of something," I say blushing. 

"Well it is amazing," Adrien says. 

"Shh children, your reaping is coming up," Effie says. We watch as Effie picks the names and Call Adrien and his sister. I walk out and the famous Caesar Flickerman makes a comment about how this only happened one other time and is wondering who I was. We watch as I walk to the stage with my head high and Effie brings me over to the microphone. She asks my name and Caesar gasps. 

"That is the Mockingjay's daughter. She looks very much like her mother," Caesar says on the screen. 

"Don't forget how my eyes are ocean blue like my dad's," I mumble under my breath. The program ends and we all head to bed. Before I go into my room Adrien stops me. 

"You are the girl that saved me from the wild dog when I was nine, aren't you?" Adrien asks me with curiosity. 

"I was. Good night Adrien," I say as I walk away from him. Before I close the door I hear him say. 

"Thank you,"