Chapter 15: The final words

I wake up in Adrien's arms. I look outside the cave and see the sun shining off of the leaves of the trees. The rain has stopped. I kiss his cheek and he stirs awake. I smile at him and he smiles back. I sit up and begin to move away from him but Adrien pulls me back.

"Don't go just yet," Adrien says. I smirk at the thought of laying here all day with him but I know we can't.

"We can't, we need to go out find food and Griffin. We are the last three and once we kill him we will try to figure something out between us," I say. I grab the strawberries that are left and give them to Adrien. Last night we ate all the stew and I ate all the bread as I cried for my family. I don't usually cry but I did yesterday because that was my last night on earth and if I am going to die then I should at least thank my parents and family. I grab my bag, bow and arrow, and my sword. Adrien gets his clothes back on and grabs his stuff.

"What are we doing first?" Adrien asks me.

"I am going to go hunt and you can grab some berries. We need to go find Griffin. The night after the feast I saw both the girl from Emer's district and the other kid was dead. It is just the three of us," I say.

"Wait, they're dead?" Adrien asks me.

"Yes, you were asleep when their face was shown in the sky," I say. I climb a tree and look around. Adrien walks away towards the river to find some berries. I wait there till Adrien yells for me.

"Diana!" Adrien yells. I climb down the tree and go to the river. Well, what is left of it? The river has been dried out. Classic gamemaker move. They are flushing us out of the cave to the lake.

"We have to go to the lake. The gamemakers are pushing us there," I say.

"You sure about this? Are you ready to face him?" Adrien asks me.

"Yes, let's get this over with. This guy deserves to die for what he did to me and you," I say. We begin walking toward the cornucopia. We don't talk till we get to the tree line of the cornucopia meadow.

"I need to go pee. I will just be a second," I say. I walk away from Adrien and duck behind a tree. I open my bag and take out the ivy juice syringes. 

"Zoom in close now Capital. I am doing something you will never forget," I whisper. I feel the camera's moving in on me because I feel like I am being watched. I stick the syringe in my arm and push in the poison. I bite on the collar of my shirt and try not to cry out in pain. I pull the syringe out of my arm and pull my shirt down. I get up and walk back to Adrien. 

"You ready?" I ask him. 

"Yeah," Adrien says. We walk out to the cornucopia and sit by the lake. My arm is in so much pain but I don't express my pain. We just sit here in silence. About ten minutes we hear someone running up to us from behind. We turn around and find griffin running at us with a sword in his hand. I run up to him and throw my sword at him but he dodges it. 

"Nice try, you can't kill me," Griffin says. 

"I can try," I say. I grab an arrow and start shooting at him. He climbs a tree and I follow. My arm is getting worse. I think Adrien can see something is up with me but I pushed it out of my mind. Right now we need to kill griffin then I will kill myself.  Adrien climbs another tree by the one Griffin and I are in. I try shooting at him but I lose my balance when Griffin jumps from his branch to mine. I fall to the ground and stand up. The boys jump down from the trees and start fighting. 

"Adrien, did you know your girlfriend is dying right now?" Griffin asks Adrien. Adrien kept throwing punches at Griffin and ignoring his comment. 

"She isn't but you will," Adrien says. Griffin grabs Adrien and holds him in a chokehold on a tree and his back to me. 

"Diana, tell him the truth. You injected yourself with something. I saw you. It was bright red. That's why your left arm is getting thinner," Griffin says. 

"You are a liar. I would never do such a thing. What do you want to say before I kill you?" I ask him. 

"That you're lying right now and I know the truth," Griffin says. I know I'm lying. I grab an arrow and put it on my bow. I aim for the back of Griffin's head. Adrien's eyes grow wide. I let go of the arrow before Griffin can turn his head. I watch as the arrow goes right through the spot between his eyes. His grip on Adrien is gone and he falls to the ground dead. Adrien steps over his body and walks up to me. 

"He was lying about the injection thing right?" Adrien asks me. I just look at him and shake my head yes. He smiles and hugs me. I try to hug back but I can't command my left arm anymore. The poison has destroyed the nerves in my arm. It's now paralyzed. He lets go of me. 

"I am going to the cornucopia to find some food," Adrien says. I just nod and watch him walk away. I walk over to my bag and grab three of the syringes I have left. I don't care if I cry out in pain anymore. I stick one in the upper part of my right arm with my right hand and the two other syringes into my legs. I push the poison into my body and cry out in pain. I take the syringes out of my body right as Adrien comes running over. He looks at me laying on the trunk of a tree and the syringes by me. His eyes become the size of plates. 

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" Adrien yells as he comes up to me. 

"I made the decision for you. I knew you would kill yourself for me but if that happened then I would be stuck in this arena for eternity watching you killing yourself over and over again and no one needs me. My family doesn't, you don't need me. I got to say my goodbye last night when you were asleep. Your family needs you more than mine needs me. They would be better off with a son doctor and being legendary soldiers of the war that no one will forget. I am just the loose end and have nothing to give in this life," I say. 

"You're wrong. I need you, please. You can't die," Adrien says. 

"Griffin was right. I was dying. I already injected myself a half-hour ago. My left arm is useless. I am now going to die from the inside out. It's painful but gives me a little time with you. When the rest of my body dies you need to stab me in the chest," I say. He looks at me with big tears in his eyes. I begin to feel a little dizzy and I say my last words to Adrien. 

"I love you more than anything. Please move on from me," I say. I close my eyes and wait for death to take me. It will be a while but I can't open my eyes. 

Adrien's point of View

No, no, no, this can't be happening. Diana is dying right now because of me. She just said her last words to me. I start pacing back and forth with tears going down my face. 

"NOOOOOOOOOOO," I yell. I look at Diana and she is as still as a rock. I go over to her and kiss her forehead. I haven't heard her canon yet so she is still alive. I go over to our stuff still in the spot we left it earlier and find a small knife I grabbed from the cornucopia during the feast. I walk back over to Diana and lay her in my arms. 

"You can't die. If you can hear me please don't die," I sob. I hold the knife up to my heart. 

"IF THE PRESIDENT IS WATCHING YOU ARE GOING TO ALLOW THE TWO OF US TO WIN OR YOU WILL HAVE NO VICTOR!" I yell at the top of my lungs. I look at Diana for what seems like the last time and push the knife into my chest a little. "WHEN SHE TAKES HER LAST BREATH I WILL PUSH THIS KNIFE INTO MYSELF BEFORE YOU CAN SAVE BOTH OF US. YOU WON'T HAVE ANY VICTORS TO CLAIM VICTORY THIS YEAR!" I start crying again and kiss Diana's head. I also kiss her lips. I start pushing the knife in more but am delayed by the sound of Panem's anthem. 

"Please stop Adrien. I will let both you and Diana win!" President Coin says over the speakers. I take the knife out of my chest and smile. Diana and I are going to live. 

"I pronounce the winners of the 99th hunger games. Diana Melark and Adrien Paix," The president says.  A hovercraft appears above us and I carry Diana to the ladder. I grab on and look at Diana. Her eyes were open a little. I could see her blue ocean eyes glimmer a little from the light. We are carried up onto the hovercraft and we unfreeze. Diana's eyes open fully and we just look at each other. Doctors come and take Diana out of my arms and rush her over to the operating part of the hovercraft. I run after them and watch them take care of her. I watch as her heart stops over and over again. I cry out for her to be okay but she can't hear me. Some doctors come and grab me and bring me away from the window. They bring into another room and start to stitch up my wound from the knife. They then put something into my arm. I begin to feel sleepy and I go into darkness. 

Star Crossed Lovers: Second GenerationOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara