Chapter 16: Victory comes with a price

I slowly open my eye. I remember hearing Adrien yelling at the president and both of us on the hovercraft. Fuck, we're going to be in big trouble. Sorry for the bad language. I look around me and only see white. A piece of the white wall opens and Finnick walks in. He looks really happy.

"Congratulations, you have won the hunger games, Diana. Also, you won the hearts of all the people in Panem. Coming close to death for Adrien was just amazing," Finnick says.

"So, I'm alive?" I ask him.

"Yeah, we never thought of him making a deal with the president for both of you to win though. I guess we had a flaw in our plan," Finnick says. He walks over to me and sits on the bed with me.

"What happened to my arm? My left one," I say.

"They had to cut it off and give you a new one. Well, a robotic one. Go ahead and look," Finnick says. I look down at my arm and see metal and wires formed into the shape of an arm.

"It looks so different but feels the same," I say.

"Yeah. I did ask the doctors to keep your scars. I thought you would like to have them so you can look scary," Finnick says. I just laugh. I did want to keep my scars. Good thing Finnick said something.

"Thanks. How is Adrien?" I ask him. He turns his head away from me.

"He is fine. A little tired because they have to keep sedating him so he can't come to find you. That boy got both of you in big trouble you know," Finnick says.

"I know. I will take the blame though, I was the one who wanted to kill themself first. It looks like an act of rebellion by trying to die like that," I say.

"Yeah we screwed up," Finnick says. I look at him and he looks like he was crying.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"I was a little scared for you. I know we decided to kill you but when I watched you die I just felt so guilty. I went to Effie and told her what we did. She began crying and hugging me and telling me that we did the right thing but it didn't feel right. You have been unconscious for two weeks. Your parents have been so scared. They even said they would sneak onto a train to get here and see if you were okay," Finnick says.

"Wow, my family cares for me that much," I say.

"They were a total wreck. Hearing you say those things about them and your last words. They were going crazy. They kept calling me making sure Effie was okay with what she was doing with the two of you. They love you a lot," Finnick says.

"No, they don't. My mother is scared of me and my father just cares about me a little. He would rather have a dead daughter than me," I say.

"That's not true," says a very familiar voice. I look around and find an avox walking in with a tablet in her hands. My brother, mother, and father are on it.

"We love you so much, Diana. Never doubt that. I am so sorry that I was so scared of you. When you volunteered I was freaking out about losing my amazing daughter. When we got a call from Effie about that boy from four choking you in training I got so scared for your safety that I fainted in your father's arms as Effie told us this. I only stayed away from you when you were mad was because you remind me so much of my arrogant self that got us into the mess of the rebellion. We do need you. Since you and Adrien won the games I have been thinking about how much of me and your father I see in you. I am so happy that you are alive and my daughter," Katniss says in tears of joy over the screen.

"D, if you died then a part of me would die with you. I am your twin. Always remember that I love you more than anyone. WE are connected," Finnick (the brother) says. I touch the screen and look at my parents and my brother. I start crying and Finnick (The cousin) wipes away my tears.