forty-eight

EMMA

Maggie sits in my lap, her plump legs brushing back and forth over my silk robe. Nadine tugs at my hair, deft fingers curling it into perfect waves down my back, as Gemma rummages through makeup on the counter in front of us.

Beside me, Val is adding another layer of hairspray to her curls, which are already beginning to fray. She grumbles to herself about the humidity but I think she looks great anyways.

She'd look great in a paper bag. I'm just glad she's here.

Kim, temporarily at home in our second guest room, is applying final touches to her makeup, soft brown liner and shimmery highlight over her cheekbones. Swiping a thick brush into a pan, she glances over to pull a silly face at Maggie.

"Here it is." Gemma mutters, holding a mascara wand dangerously close to my eyeball. "Blink." She instructs and I do as I'm told, feeling the thickening effect of each coat that she applies.

I wonder if she'll ever be content with the lashes, each blink growing heavier and heavier as the seconds go by.

"Eyes are done, want to look?" She asks finally, smirking at her work, a hand mirror dangling from her fingers.

"I'm not worried." I tell her truthfully, opening my mouth wide as Mags stares at me, eyes round and intent on my face. "Hi baby, it's almost your turn, hm?"

"Ugh." Gemma pouts. "I can't wait till she can wear make-up. Auntie Gem-Gem is going to crush it in that department, huh, Maggie?" She squeezes Maggie's chubby arm and gets a delighted squeal in return. Gem raises her brow at me proudly. "See?"

She grabs a glass bottle of foundation and a dense cosmetic brush, ready to blend the color on the back of her hand when I stop her.

"Nothing on my skin. Please and thanks." I feel myself blush. "Freckles out, today."

Nadine makes an appreciative sound as she runs her hand through my curls, the sensation so calming it almost makes me sleepy.

"Freckles out." Gemma agrees, making eye contact with Nadine when she thinks I'm not looking. Putting the foundation away, she grabs some gloss instead and tilts my head back.

While Nadine clips and pins every strand of my hair in every which way, I let my eyes close, Maggie's cheek warm against my chest.

They flutter open only when Kim passes me a tall champagne flute, the liquid crisp and refreshing down my throat.

I remind myself to brush my teeth before I get into my dress.

I'm trying hard to be positive today. Well, not that it's difficult - I am so incredibly happy.

It's like all the hard times Beau and I have gone through are coming to a close, a marked point of our lives when things will only get better from here.

Not only am I happy, I'm proud. We did this, Beau and me. Everything that was thrown our way, we got through it. We're making a great life for our daughter.

If you'd told me I'd be getting married to Beau Lewis the day we signed those contracts in the tiny kitchen of my first apartment, I'd have laughed myself to death. And yet... now I never want to know a life without him.

So yes, there are butterflies in my stomach and my heart is beating a little too fast. I had to skip breakfast and any time I think about my husband-to-be, I blush like a little girl with her first crush.

But there's still something missing. No matter how many hours I spent nailing down the seating arrangements, or perfecting our playlist, or pulling together a registry, I still don't have my parents here.