eleven

EMMA

"Are you serious?" I try to lift my jaw from Shannon's domineering cherry-stained desk, somehow still organized despite the large stacks of papers everywhere. "I just got a raise not that long ago."

Shannon peers at me over her glasses, a half smirk on her lips. "Are you turning down more money, Emma?"

Quickly, I shake my head, mind on the little human growing in my belly. I still haven't made my decision but if I decide to keep the baby, I'll need all the cash I can get. My heart beats faster as I recall the dream I had last night: a crying infant, reaching to me from his crib. A little boy who looked just like Beau.

I snap back to reality, refusing to get too sucked into my daydream. Part of me wishes I could enjoy it.

"No, I just - wow. I don't know what to say." My internship showed me how well Shannon treats her employees - how happy they were to work for her, but now being in the position full time, it's clear why. She's certainly a believer in upward mobility. I wonder about Adam's meeting - he went right back to work so he obviously wasn't fired. Maybe we're all getting raises. I make a note to ask him about his meeting at lunch this afternoon.

"I'm only kidding." Shannon chuckles, "Remember when I gave you the raise, I also said you deserved more. Well, you've continued to prove me right." She shrugs, clicking her mouse and bringing her computer screen to life. "You earned it."

"Thank you." I say eagerly, gratitude overwhelming me to the point of near tears. I really can't deal with the tears anymore. Blinking quickly, I smile at my boss brightly. "Really. I love this job and I'm so happy to be here."

"And I am very happy to have you with us." Shannon smiles again, the diplomas on the wall behind her adding to her impressive presence.

Guilt gnaws at me again. At some point, I'll have to go out on maternity leave. For the millionth time just today, I push thoughts of the pregnancy from my mind. Thanking Shannon another time, I make my way down the stairs form her office to the hall of the employee offices.

Knocking gently on Adam's door, a bit too excited to wait for lunch, I pop my head inside.

"Am I interrupting?" I've found him engrossed in a mountain of pages, pencil between his fingers while he simultaneously clutches a highlighter with the rest.

Adam looks up, his curls a bit longer than normal, his stubble more grown in. Despite the easy smile the brightens his whole expression and crinkles his eyes, he looks tired.

"Of course not." He extends a hand and invites me to sit across from his desk, pushing the manuscript he's annotating to the side.

Doing just that, I dive my hand in his M&M jar, feeling a sudden and intense craving for chocolate. Adam watches me, tapping his highlighter against his chin as he waits for me to make conversation.

"How'd your meeting go with Shannon?" I ask casually, smiling at a new photo on his wall. It's one of him with his mother, Judith, and Connor, from the dinner party we had in their apartment just some months back. I remember Gemma snapping it herself - ever the dramatic photographer, she made them take quite a few before claiming she got the perfect one.

"How did yours go just now?" Adam raises his brows at me playfully, cocking his head to the side.

"I asked you first," I note, popping another candy on my tongue childishly. If he didn't get a pay increase, it seems a bit rude to boast about mine.