thirty-three

EMMA

I shift the plate of chocolate chip cookies in the middle of the table, adjusting it once more before finally deciding that it's just right, directly in the center of the large placemat I bought this morning.

The smell is heavenly, so sweet and enticing. My pregnant belly rumbles appreciatively, the baby kicking with excitement.

When I look up finally, resisting the temptation to devour the whole batch, Beau is watching me curiously, eyes squinted at me in confusion.

"It's just Parker." He murmurs, drumming his tattooed fingers along the edge of the table. "Should I be worried that you're trying so hard to impress him?"

I lean down, planting a kiss on his messy hair, and do another quick sweep of the lake house kitchen. Everything seems to be in order - dishes in the washer, ingredients put back in the shelves, counters wiped...

"I just want him to like me." I finally settle across from Beau at the table we picked out for the breakfast nook - a distressed white farm style dining table big enough for a family. "This is the first time I've met a real friend of yours."

Beau doesn't like many people. Parker is a rarity and if Beau respects him, feels connected to him, I really want to make a good first impression.

Beau thought to keep Parker with him at his apartment, but why? This way, we all get to know each other better and it's more space, anyways. A win-win.

I chew my cuticles nervously and Beau notices, laughing as he takes my hand away from my mouth.

"Why wouldn't he?" He folds my fingers in his, soothingly tracing lines along the veins of my inner wrist.

I roll my eyes to Beau, raising my brows at him dubiously.

Beau says Parker is a lot like him, but the him of when we first met.

Do we really need any further explanation?

I believe his exact wording regarding my personality after our first encounter was "annoying."

"Just don't get too excited." Beau narrows his eyes at me in warning. "He probably won't say much anyways. He's only a talker to avoid his own shit."

I nod eagerly - I know the type - my mind already racing with ways I can win him over. Having a friend around will be good for Beau. How great would it be if he could stay around for awhile?

Just then, a knock at the front door sends me flying to my feet.

"I'll get it!"

I'm already rushing towards the front of the house when I hear Beau chuckle behind me, his chair scraping against the hardwood as he follows leisurely behind, Zeus happily tagging along by his side.

As I fling open the door, I'm almost transported back in time. Parker lifts his head at the sound, a wild smattering of dark hair hiding his eyes.

I almost gasp - Beau wasn't lying. They don't necessarily look alike, but something about them is similar: perhaps the way they hide their emotions behind unruly hair and sarcastic grins.