thirty

EMMA

"Do you want to go upstairs, Emma?"

Adam's eyes are so intense on my face, so hungry for me, so full of desire. His hands in mine are so warm, so soft.

I look from him to the windows of the B-and-B, my breath hitching, heart pounding in my ears.

Do I want to go upstairs with him?

My gaze traces his face, the patient look in his eyes, the sweet smile on his full lips. I hesitate on that smile, something deeply confusing stirring inside of me.

It's Adam. My mind races. No, I don't want to go upstairs with Adam. Right? He's my friend.

The tingles running through my veins, the heat spreading across my skin under his stare, tells another story. I bite my bottom lip, mind flip flopping between wanting to drop his hand and figure this mess out and desperately wanting to know what it feels like to kiss him.

To be kissed by him.

"Yes." I finally breathe.

His smile grows wider, fingers gently squeezing my hand as he guides me through the other wedding guests and off of the dance floor, through the dewy grass and into the gorgeous lobby of the inn.

It smells like old wood and the fire crackling in the entry, the room toasty and dimly lit. It's nice.

In silence, my heart beating so loudly I wonder if Adam can here it, he takes me to the staircase and I follow, my hand never leaving his the entire way up.

My hands are shaky, I hope he doesn't notice.

We're outside his room now, standing just outside his door and excited energy courses through my body. My mind is everywhere and nowhere, not fully developing any one thought except for Oh my, God.

Adam lowers his eyes, his hand softly cupping my cheek as he leans in.

I can taste the scotch on his breath as he gets closer, a sweetness I haven't tasted in a long while.

"Excuse me," Another guest, a friend of Gemma's from her time in England, I think, exits their room, making Adam and me jump apart, nervous laughs escaping us both.

His breath warm against my face, Adam leans his forehead to mine, a sweet grin on his lips.

I take a shaky breath in, growing impatient as he fumbles with his key.

Stepping into the room, we move in slow motion, never really touching except for our entangled fingers. Adam walks backwards until the back of his knees hit his mattress and he sits, resting our hands atop his knees.

Standing in front of him, I drop his hands and stare, once again unable to pull my gaze from his mouth.

Eyes fluttering closed, I lean forward, inching closer and closer to his face, his kiss.

Until something clicks inside me, invisible puzzle pieces coming together perfectly, and I see green eyes in my mind, a devilish smirk instead of a charming smile. My breath catching in my throat, I take an abrupt step backwards, back banging against the dresser as my hand flies to my chest.

"Emma?" Adam looks so confused, so crestfallen.

What was I thinking? I run a hand through my hair, feeling the crimson blush spreading across my cheeks.

It's Adam and he's such a good friend. Why... what was I thinking?

I shake my head, a small, nervous giggle bubbling out of me without permission. I cover my mouth with my hand quickly.