Don't Smirk

Waking up bright and early, I groaned when I remembered what day it was. I was moving back to England against my will and to live with the most boring family in the world, the Malfoys. Well their son isn't all that bad, or at least he wasn't, but that was six years ago, a lot can change in six years and I looked in the mirror and agreed with myself. 

I gathered up my things and went into the bathroom to change. Ten minutes later, I came out brushing my hair and packing away the remainder of my things before sending it ahead.

There was a knock at the door. "Come in," I said sadly as I started twisting my hair into a braid.

"Honey, it's time to go. Are you all packed?" asked Elizabeth as she came walking in. Mrs. Michaels was always like a mom to me. She made me feel at home and welcomed me into her family. When I was five, she told me that they weren't my real family and that they never will be and I accepted that. I looked and behaved too differently from them anyway.

"Yes, I suppose I am," I said as I tossed my brush into my open trunk and clicked it shut.

"Alright, take all the time you need, dear, we're in no rush." And with that she took my luggage and left me in my room.

Poppy, my owl, was pecking at the window. I had let her out the night before, her cage was already sent over and she was to meet me at the Malfoy Manor. I opened the window and let her in. She hooted happily, but it turned sad when she saw my expression. "Thanks for trying to comfort me, Pops, but this is something even you can't help me through. Go on and head over to the Malfoys, I'll be there waiting for you. And be safe!" I yelled after her as she flew off into the sky. I let one tear roll down my cheek as I gathered up my bag and took one last look around my room.

I walked slowly down to the living room. When I got there everyone looked up at me. John, the oldest son, came over and hugged me. "Bye, kiddo. Good luck," he said while hugging me tighter.

"John...can't....breathe..."

"Huh? Oh, sorry," he said while letting me go with a huge grin on his face, but I noticed that his eyes were starting to tear up just as he turned his eyes away from me.

"I'm going to miss you so much, John," I said and gave him a light peck on the cheek. Then Sam came up to me. Samantha is the second oldest, but the oldest daughter, she was two years older than me and she was beautiful.

She hugged me then let a couple tears run down her face, she let me go with a smile, not saying a word. Then the twins came up to me. Delilah and Derek came at me and practically tackled me to the ground. We laughed and hugged as I ruffled their hair and said goodbye to them. Then the parents came over to me last. They were the only parent figures I had in my life and I was going to lose them. I hugged them and didn't want to let go. Elizabeth kissed my cheek and Augustus kissed my forehead. "I'm going to miss you guys so much," I said while trying so hard to hold back the tears.

"Write every day, eh, kiddo," John said with a small, weak smile that seemed to have spread to the rest of the family.

"Only if you write back," I said with a small smile. I turned around, grabbed some floo powder and threw it into the fireplace. I turned back to my family and said one last goodbye. Then I turned back around, stepped into the flames and sighed, "Malfoy Manor." 

The last traces of my family were gone, while I was engulfed by the emerald flames of the fireplace. I started spinning around and I remembered I didn't like traveling by floo powder. I shut my eyes tight and then it stopped. I opened my eyes and walked out of the fireplace. I looked around and found myself in a library. It was colder here, and there was a dark feeling that lingered over this place.

"Who's there?" yelled a high-pitched voice, which jolted me from my thoughts.

"Um...Tammy Riddle!" I yelled back. I heard the clicks of high heels on wood coming toward the room.

"Oh, my dear, you've grown so much," said a woman with platinum blonde hair as she appeared in the doorway and started walking over to me with her arms wide open.

"Hello, Aunt Narcissa," I said with a little smile as I gave her an awkward little hug back.

"Your things are upstairs waiting in your room," she said as she backed away just as fast as she had come in. I could hear more footsteps coming towards the room.

"Okay," I said as a tall blonde man came in.

"Hello, Tammy," Mr. Malfoy said as he came over to me and nodded his head slightly in my direction.

"Hello, Mr. Malfoy," I nodded back, mirroring him in every way. I never dared to call him uncle, only when I was little. I only called Narcissa my aunt because she insisted. He looked at me with cold, dark eyes that sent a shiver down my spine. The door opened again, and another blonde came in.

"Hello, Draco," I said when he came about ten feet from me. His parents left the two of us alone in the room.

"Hello, Tammy," he said without looking up.

"You look good. How are you?" I asked, trying to strike up a conversation with him as it was uncomfortably awkward in the room.

That's when he looked up and began looking at me up and down then back again. "Uh...good I guess." Was all he could manage while looking at me. "You look, uh, nice," he said as he cleared his throat and shifted from one foot to the other.

"Uh, thanks. You don't look so bad yourself," I said back causing him to smirk at me. "Um, you mind not smirking?" I said as I walked past him to the door. "It makes your face look a tad bit ugly." And I left him there not checking his reaction and headed up to my room. I didn't like the way he was looking at me, like I was a prize he was sure he could win.

I knew which room was mine; I always had the same room since I was first brought here. I opened the door, and yup I was right. My room wasn't green like the rest of the rooms in the house, it was blue, my favorite color since I could remember. I walked in and looked around, seemed like nothing really changed, just the bed if anything. I sat on the bed and sighed sadly.

I started unpacking my luggage when there was a soft knocking on the door. "Come in," I said as I tossed some clothes on my bed.

Draco opened the door with an irritated look on his face. "Lunch is in five minutes," he said grumpily then he turned and walked out.

I started to walk out of the room when I heard the familiar hoot from Poppy. I turned and ran to the window to let her in. She flew in and landed on the desk by the window. "Hey, Pops. Wanna go into your cage?" I opened it and she flew in. I closed it and gave her a few treats and filled up her food dish. I went down to lunch a few moments later.

When I got there, it was only Draco. "Where are your parents?"

"Business."

He looked me in the eyes for the first time that day and a look of anger came over his face. I was about to ask him what his problem was before he jumped up and ran out of the room. How strange.