Chapter 17 | Saints

"Alina!" I shouted and raised to my feet.
While whipping my nose clean from the blood I leaned over the railing to peer down at her.
She was as radiant as the sun. Glowing so brightly I had to cover my eyes with my arm.
The most powerful Grisha to walk this planet and I was witnessing her strongest abilities.
The saints really have blest me, haven't they?

"How do you claim such power?" Kirigan whimpered as he pulled the knife out of his palm.
"I am the one who killed the Stag!"

"I didn't understand before, but I do now.
You cannot claim what was not given to you!"
She exclaimed as Kaz appeared next to me.
"The Stag chose me!" She hissed as she used her power to make the amplifier around her neck disappear. Kaz and I watched her in amazement

"You chose to betray our people. I was trying to save us!"

It all seemingly happened in slow motion.
Time had slowed to a dangerously low rate.
Kirigan raised his hand to cut the Sun Summoner in half but Mal tackled him overboard.

"MAL!" Alina and I shouted in panic as I ran down the flight of stairs to look overboard with her.
Mal ran to the nearest pistol laid on the floor before Kirigan threw a strong punch to his abdomen causing Mal to groan in pain.
"Kirigan! Stop it!" I hissed in between teeth as the two men below us threw punches at each other.
"I...said...stop!" I shouted and raised my hand up to alight my glove. I shot a fireball at Kirigan, which he dodged before sending me a glare of disbelief. I tried to send a second one but my air was suddenly being ripped out of my lungs causing me to bend over.
Looking up I noticed Ivan was the one choking Alina and I.

I gasped for air and gripped the railing with my right hand for support as Alina fell to her knees.

"How dare you? He gave you everything!"
Hissed Ivan as Alina started to lose her power causing the shadows to cover us once more.
"Remember your place!"

A gunshot rang through the air causing Ivan to lose his grip on Alina and I.
I inhaled a large amount of air before breathing rapidly in a repetitive manner as I looked up at Jesper.

He shot his gun again and again until Ivan stopped him in his track. Jesper groaned as Ivan controlled his movements causing me to jump up to my feet and send a fireball in Ivan's direction. Ivan shouted in pain before falling off the skiff while slowly burning to his death.
Dropping back down to my knees I fought to regain my breathing as Jesper ran over and kneeled beside me.

"Are you okay?" He asked as he placed a hand on my shoulder. I nodded and watched as Kaz walked over to us.

"Is she okay?" He asked Jesper as he stood back up.

"Yeah, she's alright."

"What happened?" Mal exclaimed as he ran to Alina. She was still laid on the floor unconscious.

"It's Kirigan's heartrender!" Inej answered as I crawled over to her and Alina.

"Come on Alina," Mal whispered as he took one of her hands in his while I took the other and looked up at him.
"Alina, come back to me, please."

"Alina." I sobbed and laid my head on her chest.

"Please wake up." Mal cried as he caressed her face gently.
"Please come back."

Volcras were screeching all around us and all signs of light had disappeared but all I could think about was the girl Mal and I held onto for dear life.
"Please." A volcra flew right above our heads as we pleased.

"Come on, please..." Mal begged while Inej covered her mouth with her hand.

"Mal..." She gasped as we all signed in relief.

"I'm here..." He continued to sob as I leaned away from the two. Kaz came over and kneeled down next to me for comfort as I hid my face in his chest and tried to stop my shivers.
"Don't you dare say, meet me at the meadow!" Mal exclaimed as Kaz tightened his grip around my shoulders.
Suddenly a volcra came flying straight at us causing Kaz to turn his body sideways so he would cover the two of us from the impact.
I readied myself to die in that second but Alina still had control over her power.
She motioned her hand in a circle causing her skin to glow brightly as the volcra disintegrated in the air,

Zoya hadn't ceased to stop pushing the Skiff out from the Fold. We all still held tightly to each other when the sunlight appeared from all angles. We'd finally made it out from the Shadow Fold.
A place where the dark lurks and the
sun hides.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two of us walked back to the fire from the skiff in a nor comfortable nor uncomfortable silence as I wrapped my new green jacket tightly around my shoulders.
Kaz and I had been chosen to gather whatever clothes we could find from the skiff and bring them back to the group. Me mainly because I could use my fire to burn the dead bodies and Kaz because he didn't want me to go alone.
Kaz had found me some clothes to change into as well as some for Alina that awaited our arrival with the others.

Walking in silence, Kaz limped his way next to me with his bag draped around his shoulder.
The field the group waited in was covered in frost making the air a little chillier than in the fold. Mal had started a fire once Kaz and I left for the skiff.

Jesper raised to his feet once he noticed us walking over to them and took the bag from Kaz.

"Where ever you are, whatever you need..." Inej started as I reached the group. She looked up at me and smiled before looking back down at Alina.
"...(Y/N)'s hand and mine are yours." 
Alina looked up at me as I smiled and nodded in agreement with Inej.

"I like that hand with a dagger in it. I couldn't hold on to yours so take mine as a replacement." Alina spoke as she pulled out a dagger from her Kefta.
"It's not much but it'll fend off a bully or two."
Inej giggled happily as she examined the dagger a saint had just handed her.
I smiled widely like an idiot as Kaz discreetly looked down at me from my left.

"I know just what to name it." Spoke Inej.

"Step one for any good plan, change of clothes." Spoke Jesper as he walked past me to stand on my right with the bag of clothes in his hand.
"It's worked for me." He added as Mal took the bag from him.

"Thank you." Answered Mal as Inej helped Alina stand up.

"So...will you still be trying to kidnap me?" Alina asked as she looked at Kaz and Jesper.

"Course not," Jesper answered as I turned my head to look at him.

"Have you found religion too?" Kaz mocked as I hit his arm with my elbow causing him to glare down at me.

"No it's just..." he signed.
"I'm exhausted! Besides. It'd be bad form to kidnap someone after they saved your life."
I nodded at him and turned my head back around to smile at Alina who was already looking at me.

"You are quite valuable, you know." Spoke Kaz.
Alina motioned for Mal to let her pass so she could walk over to us.

"So is this." She said as she pulled out a beautiful diamond necklace and handed it to Kaz who thankfully took it from her.

"I saw this on a portrait of one of the queens in the Little Palace."

"It's not a gift. It's to keep quiet about who I am. Where I go from here." She answered sternly.
I rubbed my hand against Kaz's arm and smiled kindly in Alina's direction as gratitude.
Kaz flipped the necklace in his hand before tucking it into his pocket.

"The deal is the deal." He extended his hand out to her.
She shook his hand and looked over at me as Kaz wrapped his arm around my shoulder. Something I didn't expect him to do in front of everyone.

"As for you (Y/N). I don't have anything to offer." She sadly exclaimed.

"I wouldn't want a souvenir from the palace anyway." I smiled as I wrapped my arm tightly around Kaz's waist.
She nodded at the three of us before walked away with Mal to change.
"I've lost enough that way," I mumbled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last chapter is already out<3