Chapter 11 | trust

"What the hell are you talking about Brekker?"
I hissed, my mood had changed rapidly after he spoke those words.
"There is only one Alina Starkov and I slit her throat!"

"I let Arken go after Alina's double because I knew he would get caught!"

"What about me, Huh? I could've been caught! Who knows what Kirigan could've done to me if he learnt of my betrayal." I shouted.

"I asked Arken to protect you and get you out of harm no matter what the cost!"

"That's not good enough Kaz! My life was on the line and you were responsible!" I spat while pointing in the direction of the entrance.
"You sent me because you were mad with me, isn't that it?" I lowered my voice as I huffed in disbelief.
"You sent me after the wrong Alina because you lost trust in me!" I hissed louder this time as I pointed at his chest.
"You don't like it when we touch you because it makes you uncomfortable, poor little Brekker."
I mocked while pulling my index finger away from his chest.

"It's not that simple." He spoke barely over a whispered as he stared at me plainly.

"What was that, it's not that..."

"Simple." He finished my sentence.

"Then tell me the complicated definition of not liking physical contact." I giggled while losing my temper.
"Tell me!" I shouted but he didn't flinch.

"It's different with you." He whispered.

"No, no don't give me that bullshit right now! You just admitted two seconds ago that you didn't care whether I died or lived! Don't confess anything that has to do with love because the last time I experienced that feeling I burned a whole monument to the ground with my parents inside!" I had tears running down my cheeks by now but they weren't tears of sorrow, they were tears of regret and anger.
"I don't want to hear it from your mouth! Not from someone that I care about!
I can't do it a second time." I sobbed before sprinting out of the church with my sleeve against my nose.

Kaz glanced down at his cane while blinking back tears he forced himself to hide no matter what. As per usually he had to contain and comfort himself to be the strong one out of the two or he would collapse with his partner in crime.

"What happened? You okay?" Jesper asked when he noticed my puffy eyes and Kaz walking towards us.

"I'm fine."

"She's real, Jesper. She made the light sing!"
Inej spoke as she walked towards us from behind a far building.

"We lost her!" Kaz exclaimed as he stopped beside me without glancing my way.

"Did we?" Jesper smirked as he walked towards the carriage. I sniffled and followed after him.

"We don't know where she is," Kaz exclaimed while following us.

"Don't we?" Jesper mocked.
"Just ask." He giggled.

"Jesper." Kaz hissed while Jesper climbed aboard the carriage.

"Just ask." He continued to provoke us.

"Fine, do we have a fix on where the target is?"
Kaz rolled his eyes as he asked.

"You guess where she is." He smirked causing Inej to huff impatiently.

"Jesper! Where is Alina Starkov?" She asked sternly.