Chapter 4

Warning - smut, swearing

It's been a year and a half since Rose became a full vampire. She couldn't be happier. She has a job at her dad's video store, She's got a new best friend, She had 4 mates who protect her, love her and claim her. But they also underestimate her. To them, Rose needs to be protected and looked after by them all the time. But hell, they were wrong. Rose fought since day 1 to survive. She learned how to manipulate, lie and get what she wants and when she wants it. She's got it down pat.

Rose was sitting on the counter in Max's video store facing towards the cash register, laughing with her best friend, Elliot as she unpacked boxes of new movies and tapes. Elliot was the exact opposite of Rose. She was around 5'8, she had long, dark, curly hair and wore knee-length shorts and a multicoloured shirt. Sometimes people would mistake her for a boy and would make fun of her for it. Even Rose's mates would make fun of her behind her back or would snicker whenever she was near them. Particularly Marko and Paul. David would smirk and shake his head while Dwayne wouldn't do anything except laugh at Paul and Marko's jokes. Rose would always slap their arm and tell them to behave.

Max walked through and pulled Rose to the side ''We have a new employee coming to work with us tomorrow night. Rose, could you show her around and make her feel comfortable'' 

''Sure thing Dad. What's her name?''

''Her name is Lucy Emerson. And it would be great if you could get to know her son too''

''It's about time you found your mate'' Rose replied

''How do you know that she's my mate?'' he asked

''I don't know. I can just tell I guess'' she shrugged ''And why do you want me to get to know her son''

''He should join us too. And you never know, he could be your last mate.''

Rose looked at him as if she'd seen a ghost ''Not to gross you out or anything but uh...its hard enough with four horny, clingy, attention seeking mates. How would I cope with five?''

Max gave her a look as if to say ' I didn't need to know that'. ''I'm just saying that this is a possibility. In the meantime, let David know about this.'' 

Rose nodded. ''Sure thing.''

''I'll be back once your shift is over.  I want to come back to the store without anything broken''

Rose saluted and went back to Eliot as Max left the store to his red car.

''Ooo tightrope looks good'' Rose flipped the tape to read the back ''New Orleans single dad and cop Wes Block goes after a serial rapist-killer, but when he gets too close to the target, the hunter suddenly becomes the hunted''

''Sounds shit'' Elliot replied as she took the tape and put it on the thriller shelf

''Party pooper'' Rose stuck her tongue out

''Is someone ruining all the fun'' a familiar voice spoke as two arms snaked around her waist. She turned her body slightly to see Paul checking her out.

''How come you got so small'' Rose asked as she played with his hair

''Since you sat on the counter. The real question is, how come you're so hot?''

Elliot rolled her eyes '' Can you just get your hands off her for five minutes? She needs to work and your not even allowed in here! And for fucks sake talk like that in private'' Elliot snapped

Paul raised his hands in surrender ''I'm sorry okay? It's not my fault she's so goddamn irresistible'' he wrapped an arm around her waist again

''Elliot calm down, Paul she's right, be more appropriate'' Rose interrupted ''Now go before Max gets back''