Chapter 10: The Beginning

Paige's homecoming dress ☺️

Paige:

Maz and I step out of the limo in unison.

I link arms with Andre, Maz links arms with her date (Henry I think).

I look over at Lyndon who is standing alone.

"Where's your date?" I ask him, confused.

He gives me a sad smile," She was already going with someone."

I give him a sympathic smile," I'm sure she'll come around. You're a great guy, Lyndon."

His eyes get a bit brighter,"Thanks Pay."

I smile at him then I have an idea.

I link my other arm with his, he looks surprised and I say," I'm not going to let you go to Homecoming alone."

He smiles gratefully because, since our county is so poor, we only have Homecoming and we don't have Prom. So not having a date to Homecoming is basically screwing yourself up socially for the rest of your life.

I beckon Maz over and we walk into the dance together.

***

Inside the gym is decorated with blue and yellow streamers. A vintage disco ball hangs from the ceiling flashing with a rainbow of colors. The DJ was playing a strange kind of dub step. A snack table was set up into the right side of the room.

Of course the boys went over there first.
Maz and I sit down at one of the tables near the dance floor(Maz insisted).

After a few minutes, Maz goes to the dance floor with Henry as Lyndon and Andre sit down.

We talk for a while then Andre gets a call on his cellphone and excuses himself to answer it.

Lyndon and I sit in silence and watch in amusement at the people around us, as they dance, talk, and do other things that make me feel uncomfortable.

"Pay?"

I look at Lyndon is surprise.

"Yeah?"

He looks nervous yet he says,"There's something that I need to tell you."

I feel like I can't breathe, like all the air has been sucked out of this room.

"What?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady.

He keeps his eyes on the table as he says,"The fight with Andre wasn't about some guy on the football team or one of my relatives."

I can't move, I can't do anything, I just stare at him, not ready for what he would say next.

He looks me in the eye, his eyes flashing with nervousness and slight panic.

"Andre said that I didn't deserve you. It was me."

***************************

😱 The reveal has happened.

What did you guys think of Lyndon's confession? Are the Paydon shippers happy now? (I am ☺️)

Have a lovely day! 😊