Chapter 3: The Game

Paige:

So maybe I hadn't made the best decision.

Lyndon and I follow Andre through the many rooms in the Washington's house. It was comforting to have Lyndon with me.

He was a great friend.

Finally Andre stops and says,"Here we are."

We were in the fabled record room. Ancient scrolls and old books cover the shelves. The entire room is made of cedar wood. In the middle of the room is a large image of the family Crest engraved in the wood.

Around the circle of the outside of the Crest sat about 28 people.

They looked at us as we came in. I knew a few of these people. Katherine Marche, Phillip Greene, and Britte Newark.

The rest were strangers to me.

We sat in an empty space in the circle. Andre on one side, Lyndon on the other.

"Now," Andre says, voice sounding with a strange authority,"let's start the game shall we?"

Everyone nods, looking excited.

"Let me explain to those who are confused. We are playing never have I ever, the opposite version.
It works like this. The person whose turn it is must say something they have never done. Anyone who hasn't also," He motions to the bowl in the center, cyan peppers."eats a pepper. If no one eats a pepper the person selected has to. Any questions?"

We all shake our heads. I can handle some peppers.

"Let's start with...James!"

A guy with brown hair, James I guess, says,"Never have I ever... Eaten sushi!"

Two people eat pepper while James looks proud of himself.

More people go, some doing silly things others doing...not silly things.

Finally it gets to Lyndon who says,"Never have I ever...dated the person I actually liked."

Ten people, including Andre and myself, eat pepper.

Then it's my turn.

I take a deep breath and say,"Never have I ever....been kissed."

17 people eat pepper.

Andre looks shocked.

Lyndon is in deep thought about something.

Now it's Andre's turn.

"Never have I ever...been skydiving."

A silly one.

Everyone but Lyndon and I eat pepper.

We went last summer.

Andre looks at me, then to Lyndon.

He looks at Lyndon with a look I can't explain. A look I have only seen in movies.

Jealousy.

Why is Andre jealous of Lyndon.

Suddenly there is a strong scent of alcohol.

"Can we go home now, Pagy Lou?"

Maz.

More specifically, drunk Maz.

I sigh,"Yeah, Lyndon you coming?"

He nods and he looks at Andre one last time with a look of contempt.

We get into Maz's car, putting her in the back seat. I sit in the passenger seat and Lyndon drives because he lives down the road from Maz and can walk to her house.

We have driven for a few minutes when I ask,"What did you mean?"

Caught off guard he asks,"By what?"

I raise an eyebrow,"You said you hadn't dated the person you actually liked. What did you mean by that."

He sighs,"...I-I meant that-"

"THE SKY IS SO PURPLE." Maz says loudly,"AND YOU GUYS ARE SO GREEN. WOW LOOKS AT ALL THOSE CHICKENS!"

Sounding frustrated Lyndon says,"Those were trees, Maz."

She makes a sound like a mad whale and says,"YEAH AND YOU DONT LIKE-"

Lyndon stops the car quickly and Maz hits her head on the back of the seat knocking her out.

We were at my house.

"Did you have a good night Paige?" Lyndon asks seeming curious.

I recount the events of the night. Though they had been strange and confusing but fun.

I nod and smile,"Yeah I did, thanks Lyndon. You and Maz are the greatest friends I could ever ask for."

I hug him and get out of the car.

It's late and I am really tired.

Good thing tomorrow's Saturday. I'm not waking up until Monday.

*****************************

I'm sorry to the Paydon shippers, I'm not trying to sink your ship.

But anyway hope you liked that chapter, some games have an effect on life afterwards. Just saying.

Have a great day! 😊