Chapter 2

A Perfect Dawn
DAWN
2004

Well even if that wasn't her name I had a name to call her and it gave me an idea of when she was born. According to the name plate she was 11 years old. That is a nice age for a horse.

I grabbed the halter and lead rope then opened the door. As soon as Dawn heard me she shied away and cowered in the back of her filthy stall.

"It's ok girl I'm here to help you, I won't hurt you," I murmured.

I heard a noise out side but didn't turn around to find out what it was. If there was one thing I learned from all of the rescues I was on it was never look away from the horse, if you look away anything can happen.

As I approached her I tried to look as non threatening as possible. I didn't want to scare her even more!

Finally, the contact of flesh to bone. As soon as I touched her she flinched and tensed up even more. I slowly moved my hand up her neck and over her head. Then I slipped her halter over her nose. With that latched I stood there and let her relax. IT took a few minutes, but finally she started trusting me. I was really surprised at how fast she relaxed, normally it took quite awhile for abused horses to trust again.

Now, was the time to get her to the trailer. I slowly picked up the lead rope and put a little pressure on it. She seemed to trust me still so she took a little step forward.

The policeman had already left and my mom was nowhere to be found. I assumed she went to the truck to wait for me.

Slowly Dawn and I made our way to the trailer. When I got there my mom got out of the truck to help me open the trailer doors. Dawn didn't want to get in the trailer but she was so tired and weak she did anyway. Once she got in the trailer she stood quietly, too tired and weak to do anything.

I felt so bad for her I couldn't imagine being abused then left to starve.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•