Chapter 24

It was an interesting lunch, and Zara just kept staring at me. I had to repeat myself about four times for her to believe me. Alisa and a few of my other friends were listening too. Ellie sat down before us so we didn't sit by her, which turned out to be a good thing, because she told the girl she was sitting next too that I was a "self absorbed, good for nothing brat."

(I changed the girls name but this is actually true, at my school this happened yesterday.)

And then she lied to my face that she said I was a pink which was "nice and kind." Anyway so back to lunch.

They all were amazed that my dad allowed himself to be found. He disappeared a few years ago, and left my mom with a seven year old little girl who missed her dad.

~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>

At PE later that day, we were playing capture the flag. I loved this game and I haven't played in over a year. My team won and we were changing when I could hear my teacher call my name. I finished slipping on my shirt and pants then wandered out to find out what he wanted.

When he saw me, he told me I had to go to the office. I was nervous because I rarely get sent to the office and this year I had been multiple times. None of them because I was in trouble though. As I walked down the hallway I have a show this weekend. I guess I will not be showing Dawn.

When I walked into the office I only saw the Principal sitting at her desk.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, I have some news for you."

"What type of news, Good or Bad?"

"Depends on who you are talking too"

"Ok? What is it?"

"Well your mother called a few minutes ago and told me to inform you, that as of lunch." Here she pause for dramatic affect or to do something else I don't know. "As of lunch, two horses were spotted"

"Where?!?!"

"In their stalls."

"Oh my gosh! Are they really there? I mean Dawn and Pepper are really in their stalls?"

"Well I don't know about the names, but that would be what your mother said." She grinned at me and I started crying tears of joy.

"Thank you for telling me!"

"Your welcome"

I skipped out of the room and to my locker to get ready for my last class of the day. As soon as I got into the room, the first thing I noticed that there was no teacher, second was that my horse was alive, third I was yelling and jumping around the class room telling everyone.

I luckily had my last class with Zara who jumped up and hugged me.
We did a little dance until the teacher came in and told us to find our seats.

After the class was over I couldn't tell you what we learned, because I was flying through the clouds and finially landed on my favourite cloud. Horse land.

Horse land was my escape from the reality of life. If I wasn't with the horses I was on horse land with them. As soon as the dismissal bell rang I sprinted out of the classroom and was out the door in record time.

The bus just couldn't get here fast enough! It seemed like it took FOREVER even though it was on time. Finally the bus puffed up and I ran inside and plopped down on the first seat.

"Hey George!"

"Hi Sally"

I know you are probably wondering why he called me Sally. Well a few years I started calling him George and then he decided to call me Sally. His real name is Derek.

"You have some ants in your pants?" He asked me.

"Did you hear that my horse was missing for awhile?"

"Is that the two horses that were on the news?"

"Yeah''

"Oh yeah I know about them. Any word on them?"

"Today they were spotted!!"

"Cool. Where?"

"Somewhere very close to here"

"Ok?"

"As in," I paused for a second, "They are now safe and sound!"

"That is good!"

"Yeah"

The bus pulled up at my stop and I barrelled off of the bus straight to the barn. When I reached Dawn's stall, she stuck her head out of the stall and nickered at me.

"DAWN!!"

I ran to her and threw my arms around her neck and squeezed her until a voice came from behind me.

"I don't think you want to suffocate her"

"Where did they come from?"

"They were found fifteen miles from here in a corn field eating corn"

"Wow"

I continued squeezing Dawn and I, for the second time that day started crying. Even though I was wearing a skirt I grabbed my helmet off of the front of her stall and opened the door to swing up on her.

We didn't need reins, we only needed each other. I kicked her into a canter and we headed for the trails. Tgen my mom said something I didn't think I would ever hear her say.

"Wait for me! I have to go get a horse!"

It only took her fifteen years to get back on a horse. Her last horse had died in a tragic jumping accident. My mom blamed herself for the accident and she thought she had killed her horse. But finally she over came her obstacle and now she is riding on the trail with me and we were laughing and having a great time.

Right here I didn't care about anything except the fact that I was the happiest I had been in years. Sure I had been happy, but today I felt complete. And as I was cantering along with my mom on Cheerio all thoughts of my dad slipped out of my head. Because I was in my happy place.

This had truly been a Storm Before Dawn.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•