t w e n t y - t h r e e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t w e n t y - t h r e e 

"He'll be okay though, right?" Nova murmurs, sleeves of her hoodie long as she fumbles with them, eyes focused on the woman before her.

The stethoscope around her neck is adjusted, fabric of the lab coat smoothed out before responding to the dark-haired female. Nova's features are drenched in maternal concern, the soft curve of her brows knitting together, her lower lip pulled between her teeth and her features anxious.

"He'll be just fine Miss Blaire. It's a nasty brawl, but we've placed some sutures into the wound site. They should dissolve in the few coming weeks," the veterinarian explains.

Nova eyes flicker down to her grey tabby cat, currently in a heavily drowsy state. His head falls over her arms, the cone around his neck making the action uncomfortable for the both of them. His legs are sprawled over the observation table, the left one shaved in order to stitch up the wound.

Leo had limped into the house this morning with blood leaking from his leg primarily. It was quite clear he'd been in a brawl the night prior, with several tuffs of fur being lost and scratches across his skin. Those were disinfected, but the one on his leg needed surgical attention.

Luckily, Nova was up from a sleepless night anyway, and immediately spotted the poor state he was in. She'd booked an emergency slot, bringing him to the nearest vet centre as soon as possible. They'd been here all morning, the procedure taking less than half an hour, Nova grabbing coffee from the store next to her as she waited.

The vet said it was probably between Leo and a few other strays, likely over a female in heat. She recommended to get him neutered, to prevent such a thing happened, and Nova agreed. He'd been neutered, still a little loopy from his anaesthetics.

"You'll need to make sure the stiches are left alone; the cone is best for that. Also he'll be drowsy for a while – it's normal. Ensure his appetite remains. The stiches will dissolve on their own. Keep him indoors," explaining as she hands Nova an aftercare leaflet.

The female nods, Leo being placed back into his carrier with a sleepy mewl.

Nova pays a hefty amount for his treatment – not that she minded. She loved Leo.

It's a quick walk home, Nova feeling comfortable due it being peak in morning rush, broad daylight protecting her from above. Her discomfort was also shielded with her worry for Leo.

The first thing she does when she gets back is lock the cat door and closes any windows. Whilst he was recovering, he couldn't be roaming the streets.

His bedding is moved down into the kitchen, near the windowsill with the brightest light so he could soak up the sun. She thought the scenery change was needed if he was spending more time at home. Softer blankets are used, including her old sweater as a comfort item.

The grey tabby is placed, Nova stroking his forehead and kissing the top of his head repeatedly, soft scolds coming from her.

"That's what happens when you decide to stay out all night without telling me of your whereabouts. You get up to all sorts of mischief Leo, didn't you ever think about the potential consequences? And fighting? I've taught you better than that. Especially over some girl. You need to be the bigger cat," she tuts.