XVII: A Boy's Request

"UWAAAAHHHH!!!"

"Woaaaaaaaahhh...hora, hora, horaaaaa..."

"Take this, you weakling! Uwooooo! HAHA!"

The sound, more like the loud noises and screaming from the Butterfly Estate kept echoing throughout the area as Miyuki was on her way to visit the Insect Pillar, Kochou Shinobu. She was still far and she can already hear the rowdiness of the place, very unlikely from its usual peacefulness.

"Excuse me? Who are you?" A young girl with her hair tied in pigtails stopped on her tracks, carrying a basket of laundered sheets, as Miyuki stepped inside the grounds.

The girl's voice was somewhat demanding but there was still politeness to it as well.

"Oh, sorry for barging in, is Shinobu-san here?" Miyuki smiled and raised the small box she was bringing. It was her gift for the pillar.

"Shinobu-san? Ah! Kochou-sama?!" The girl exclaimed after hearing Miyuki call the Insect Hashira by her name.

"Uhm, may I ask who you are?"

"Shiraishi Miyuki...I live at the topmost district, right there." Miyuki amusingly pointed at the peak of the mountain where there's nothing but clouds covering them despite the early morning.

"At the northern district? That's where the Ice Pillar...ah! I heard that the Ice Pillar arrived yesterday, are you her attendant?" The girl asked with enthusiasm and began leading her inside.

"I think so? I just brought some souvenirs for the Pillar." Miyuki didn't bother correcting her as she did find it amusing. 

It didn't surprise her too because she was away for years after all, and if she ever visits the Butterfly Estate, she would directly go to the backdoor and enter Kochou's study, not through the front door. There are only a few of the Butterfly Mansion's attendants that saw her personally.

"I see...well, it's best if you hurry though because Kochou-sama is a busy person."

"Ah, yes. Is she busy taking care of her goldfishes too?"

"Of cours- wait, how did you know about that?"

Miyuki smiled. "Just a hunch."

From the hallway they passed through, the noises from the many young men kept drowning the Ice Pillar's ears. From what she can hear, she can tell there are three of them...three noisy patients.

"What a lively bunch you have there. Are they here from the Natagumo Mountain incident?" She asked.

"Yes. Indeed, they're very noise...a very annoying bunch, at that!" The girl complained.

"Really? Are they your friends?"

"They're our patients. One of them shrunk his arms, the other's a stupid boar who keeps on yelling, and the other one's an airhead. Those hard-headed idiots!"

Even if the girl was complaining, Miyuki can tell that she has also grown fond of them enough to what you can consider as friends. The short girl beside her was a short-tempered one too, which she also finds amusing.

"Hey! Please don't laugh!"

"Haha! I'm sorry, uhm...what's your name again?"

"Aoi! It's Kanzaki Aoi...anyway, please wait here as I inform Kochou-sama." The girl tugged Miyuki down to the couch and immediately ran towards the corridor with a flushed face.

Sitting alone on the couch, the Ice Pillar then laid down comfortably and yawned. Picking up an uchiwa (Japanese fan) from the side table, she began keeping herself cool with the non-existent wind enclosed inside the room.